Bali in August - advice requested for dive bases and spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ Madacub: Thanks for the praise, good to hear you enjoy the trip with my team. Keep in touch with the guys on face book. Everyone is getting new & better cell phone to make sure they are on line all the time (except when they are sleeping or diving) :)

@ Ward: Trips to most dive sites in Bali actually can be arrange from south Bali whether Kuta, Nusa Dua or Sanur area if you do not mind with the traveling time.
South Bali - Tulamben/Amed: 2.5 hours/way
South Bali - Padang Bai: 1.5 hours/way.
The trip on the way to the dive sites in the morning usually on time while on the way back to South Bali can be one hour longer due to the traffic.
(FYI, Padang Bai is the beach where most dive operator start their trip for Nusa Penida, Mola Mola site & Manta Point)

Except for the North Area (Menjangan), we would not suggest you to do day trip to visit the place. It takes 3.5 hours/way to reach the site.

If you do two day dives/day, you leave South Bali at 7am and get back approximately at 4-5pm (depends on the dive site you choose). That way you will still have a chance to enjoy the "noisy Bali" in the evening.

It is the local people decision to limited the night club building in South Bali only, so if you want to enjoy both dive & city life of Bali, my suggestion would be stay in South Bali.

August is Bali's peak season so you better book the accommodation from now. Some accommodation even already fully booked for August period.

Hi Ward,

Generally all of the Dive Centers that send boats out to Nusa Penida and Manta Point come from Sanur with the exception of a few cases. The trip from Sanur is only 40 minutes however... at that time of year, the dive trips can be booked up extremely quickly as it is the extremely popular Mola Mola season where people come from world round to dive with the magnificent creatures, so i would strongly advise booking up in advance.

If you have any more questions about the diving in here please have a look at our website at Diving Bali | Dive Courses Bali or dont hesitate to ask any questions to info@baliocean.com

Hope to dive with you soon!

Blue Season Bali

Hey guys, I might be in a similar predicament what sort of time does it take to get to Tulamben from Padang Bai and do boats go out to Nusa Penida (how long) from Padang Bai? Or would it be better to be based in Candi Dasa for diving proximity to Tulamben and Nusa Penida? and a mix of nice beaches for relaxing?

USAT Liberty at Tulamben is the best dive in Bali IMO

I use Tulamben Wreck Divers, Tony & Dot the owners are very helpful and the villas are luxurious and cheap for what they are

You can do a day trip to Manta Point from Padang Bai

Hey guys, I might be in a similar predicament what sort of time does it take to get to Tulamben from Padang Bai and do boats go out to Nusa Penida (how long) from Padang Bai? Or would it be better to be based in Candi Dasa for diving proximity to Tulamben and Nusa Penida? and a mix of nice beaches for relaxing?

Dear gee13

the bus trip to Tulamben from PB takes approx 1 hour 20 mins. Most dive companies offer dive trips from PB to Nusa Penida, which, depending on the site takes 40 mins-1 hour.

I think generally the corals at Menjangan was in better shape than some parts of Bunaken...

Dear Gee 13,

Our 3 boats based in Padang Bai and it takes 20 minutes to Nusa Penida & 40 minutes to Manta Point. There are many accommodation in Tulamben and for your diving in Nusa Penida you can stay in Candidasa area. Its 15 minutes fromPadang Bai beach and has many range of accommodation. Of course you can stay in

Frankly speaking, neither Tulamben nor Candidasa have nice beach. Tulamben has black stony beach and Candidasa's beach had abrasion. If you are looking for nice beach in Bali try Nusa Dua or Sanur.

Attachments

• DSCN3126.jpg
    DSCN3126.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 70
Gangga Divers is one of the best dive operations we have ever gone diving with. Their boats are spotless and their dive operation is precise! They handled everything from A to Z.

I second Gangga in Candidasa. My wife and I just returned from a 21 dive trip staying at Lotus and diving with Gangga. The boats out of Padang Bai provide easy access to central sites including Manta Point and Blue Corner. We took several day trips up to Talumben/Saraya/Amad that Jan and crew arranged A to Z. We dove with Putu and Jan during the week with 1 hour dive times and a great critter spotting. Free nitrox, clean fast boat and GREAT service including drinks and snacks between dives - I don't have a single negative thing to say about Gangga Divers.

Thanks everyone, very helpful! I'm not a huge fan of wreck or critter diving (don't get me wrong, I enjoy it), but as I only have 1 week and everything seems to be reasonably doable by travelling, I've managed to reserve some accommodations in the areas of Legian, Sanur, and Nusa Dua. That should also give me good access to Manta Point south of Nusa Penida, and decent beaches as a bonus. Will now look into the dive shops, so if you have any recommendations based on locations mentioned (or you run a shop there), please let me know. Just over 3 weeks to go, can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom