Bang Stick wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This post is old but I would like to reply. I used to make this Bang Stick with a partner in Ohio, several years ago. There is nothing better on the market. The problem is that I have lost contact with my old friend. The shop is empty and I can not locate him. If anyone knows of someone selling this bang stick, I would appreciate it if you would pass along any information and maybe I can track down my old buddy. It was called UM-1 Sea Stick Diving Equipment Corp. Also Voyager Spears. We were Vietnam Helicopter Pilots. i miss the old guy. r.kash@att.net

This post is old but I would like to reply. I used to make this Bang Stick with a partner in Ohio, several years ago. There is nothing better on the market. The problem is that I have lost contact with my old friend. The shop is empty and I can not locate him. If anyone knows of someone selling this bang stick, I would appreciate it if you would pass along any information and maybe I can track down my old buddy. It was called UM-1 Sea Stick Diving Equipment Corp. Also Voyager Spears. We were Vietnam Helicopter Pilots. i miss the old guy. r.kash@att.net

Im having some trouble figuring out how to do this. i would appreciate any information about the bang stick you mentioned. i used to make it in Cleveland.

Hello Rondezvous,

Welcome to Scuba Board. One of the first thing you may want to do is fill out your User Profile. If you need help learning the ins and outs of this site, I suggest clicking the drop down menu under "Board Features" and and read the FAQ if you have any other questions go to the Site Support Area or just ask just about any one of us hanging about. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/site-support/

Now about finding your buddy, you may be better off with a post in the Underwater Hunting area here on Scuba Board or perhaps, the Military Divers section http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/military-divers/ or another board such as Spearboard.com

Good luck,

Couv

Last edited:
I have a Farallon Shark Dart setup that I am planning on selling if your interested make me an offer!
I have pics of it getting ready to list it on Craigslist here in Tampabay, Fl. but can ship it if you pay for the shipping costs! It is a Farallon Magnum.

Im having some trouble figuring out how to do this. i would appreciate any information about the bang stick you mentioned. i used to make it in Cleveland.

That old crazy Russian made a fantastic bang stick ... I sold LOTS of them. I don't know what happened to him but I made a deposit of a few hundred bucks for materials for a bunch more of the .357 MAX about the time he fell off the face of the earth.

It is a real shame. He did fantastic work on all his stuff ... speargun laser, reel, pole spear, etc. Now all you can find are power heads at about the same cost as his bang stick.

If you do find him, tell him Ol Ray would really like to talk with him again! Good hunting!

div%3E

Please drop me a line on asking price for the Farallon.

Also, a couple of points:
1) Wild is wild and you don't always have a choice. Examples:
a) I've spent over 50 years living in wild country in CA, OR, and WA, and wondered the hills alone since I was 8. Never bothered by cougars or bears and saw lots of them. Then one day there was this big brown bear that I didn't see until almost too late. She had cubs, but I was nowhere near them. That's when that .44 mag I never shot before came in useful. Just because you haven't been eaten before doesn't mean you won't in the future. b) Woke up one morning and went to take a swim while hiking in the Cascades. Hair stood up on my neck when I found some huge cougar tracks right over the top of mine on the trail I took the night before. He was obviously stalking me. c) Dang near got bit by a shark. Nice easy going white tip. Problem was that an idot had to poke at him while he was sleeping in a hole. You don't control idiots in your dive group, sharks do get pissed off, and I didn't have a bang stick because I only carry what I think is prudent for the situation.
2) Love sharks. Seens lots of them. It's the great white that you don't see that gets you. Don't understand? Then you don't know how they hunt! And from that distance they can easily make a mistake and odds are a bang stick won't help. Tigers - I always leave the water; they've taken too many swimmers to make the risk not worthwhile. Bank stick - got one and carry it when it makes sense to. Hammerheads, they seem to leave every time I get close. The one comment earlier about looking like food is right on; unfortunately to anything that's really hungry anything can look like food.
3) Believe it or not - the bang stick has been ruled not to be a firearm as long as it's permanently affixed to a 18" pole. And yes they work - hit a shark anywhere in the main body and he isn't going to do anything, period. You have to see it to believe it.
4) Build one yourself. Have any machinist hollow out an 1/2 aluminum rod to fit the profile of a .223, including to the edge of the rim and say a 1/2 inch beyond. Give the bullet itself say a 1/4" long loose fit. Use a regular spearfishing pole that has a pointed, threaded end. Load the .223 round in the machined rod. Put .225 OD rubber gas hose behind the round snugging it in place and make it long enough to fit over the pole. You have a bang stick. Note that I wouldn't use this more than one time firing. At the same time, make several and you have a quick reload plus you don't have to put one pole until needed. The .223 round is great. It's the concussion that does the job. In WA you can't use a slug, it's got to be a blank round. So roll your own round and plug the end with plastic and wax. And try one out before you have to use it so you know what you're doing. This are much easier to carry in luggage too. If anyone is interested, I'll post a drawing when I get back from my trip in Hawaii.
3) I don't understand the mentality of governments or individuals that think a person shouldn't be able to defend himself. Yes we live in a civilized society. But there's a real dog eat dog (shark eat people) world out there. The ocean is still wild. So are some people (take a ride along with the police if you don't believe me). And as one gun writer said - it's hell to show up at a gun fight and not have a gun.

Do you have a solution for mounting and quick deployment of a personal protection device on a Riffe speargun?

And what exactly are you gonna be bangsticking? Lots of different sizes depending on what is trying to eat you. I have .357 and a .223, but what I really want is a Farallon Shark Dart which has long been banned by name by most govenments in the free world.

I knew a guy that tested the Farallon Shark Dart when it first came out. They nailed two sharks that immediately went to the surface. The inflated sharks thrashed around the boat, snapping at anything in sight, including the anchor line. He wasn't impressed with the idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom