Bare Drysuits from Divetank - Any Comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Three months late on a post to this thread, but I've been gone for a while. I've purchased a drysuit and a bc from divetank and have reccomended her to a few of my friends also. All items were brand new and exactly what I ordered. The first suit that I purchased did not fit right and was exchanged without a problem. Divetank has consistantly had the best prices I could find on Bare, Seaquest and Apex product.

Read your thread on your new XCD2, have you had a chance to dive it yet? I was considering the same (Also from Divetank) for the front zip self donning feature.

However I cannot decide if I should go with XCD2-2mm or CD-4 w/4mm and just deal with another back zip suit. I'm a little concerned about having to use the xtra undergarments becasue the 2mm add very little thermal barrier (low 40s here).

Also concerned about front zip - my LDS tryed to talk me out of it -they said they are problematic and costly (by 2x) to repair (incedently - they also didn't have any front zips which may have had something to do with it and I felt like I was being sold ). Richard (Divetank) tells me a different story, he said he has both and they are fine if you take care of them and charges $250-275 to repair if out of warranty or Customer induced failure.

Would you still recommend Divetank after your experience with your new suit?

mlakin:
I have a Bare XCD2 Tech on the way, Richard is extemely helpful, when it comes to sizing. You won't be disappointed if you choose scubatank.

Mike

Sea View, you will not be disappointed with the XCD2 tech I've got four dives on mine so far in water a forty degrees, and using the 100 gram thinsulate suit and I was quite warm. As for the front zip I see nothing wrong with it having the front zip is very handy

My latest dive was last weekend in a local sinkhole, the only thermal's I used was a light two piece fleece long john I got with the suit, I was at 70' for about 40 mins in 45 / 50 degree water, and again I was very warm. I also only use six pounds of lead with this suit, my buddy has the cd-4 and if I remember he uses between 8 and 10 pounds. So I can say that the XCD2 is a very nice suit .

Good luck with your choice.

Mike

Mlakin, Thank you for the detailed reply, that info was very helpful! I was thinking I'd freeze in 100wt in an XCD2 at 43 degrees, I have a 150ish-200wt suit & probably use very thin polypro shirt / Pant under that for sweat mgmt. Sounds like that will be the ticket in the low 40's - might be too hot in a CD-4 with all that.

What do you use for gloves? did you get the dry gloves installed? go w/wet?
By the way - wondering if the ATR (auto torso retract) aspect of the XCD2 is a problem with a weight belt, any experience there?
I would think that putting the belt across the ATR would interfere with the movement,
and putting it on below the ATR - it may end up around my ankles.

I'm looking at getting into the integrated weight BC (Black Diamond or Knighthawk -probably not a BP/wing setup -don't know yet) but it's going to be a chunk of change 2x95's, New BC, New Drysuit, New hood / gloves etc. upwards of $2K. to get setup correctly (currently have a trilam shell, SP stab jackets and al80's ...need I say more - time for an upgrade!)

Thanks! JC

mlakin:
Sea View, you will not be disappointed with the XCD2 tech I've got four dives on mine so far in water a forty degrees, and using the 100 gram thinsulate suit and I was quite warm. As for the front zip I see nothing wrong with it having the front zip is very handy

My latest dive was last weekend in a local sinkhole, the only thermal's I used was a light two piece fleece long john I got with the suit, I was at 70' for about 40 mins in 45 / 50 degree water, and again I was very warm. I also only use six pounds of lead with this suit, my buddy has the cd-4 and if I remember he uses between 8 and 10 pounds. So I can say that the XCD2 is a very nice suit .

Good luck with your choice.

Mike

JC

The gloves that i'm currently using are the Bare 5mm gaunlet gloves, and my fingers do get chilled after a long dive, haven't decided to go with the dry gloves.

I use a BP/W and have two pouches on my waist for weight, but the ATR is actually a little below my waist, I can't really comment on how good it works because I've never used a non-ATR dry suit, but I don't think it would be in the way of a weight belt.

I picked up the double 95's, BP/W, dry suit, and reg's and it ran into the 2K ballpark, the wife wasn't to happy, so I told her there are worse things to be addicted to :) but anyway I should be good until next year when I spring for the Deep Air and Advanced Nitrox classes.

My dry suit came with the following
XCD2 suit, Bare 5mm gaunlet gloves, Bare dry hood, T-100 fleece suit, Two piece light weight fleece underwear, a utility pocket, and carrying bag for suit. This is why I chose divetank for the suit, There's nothing wrong with upgrading a little at a time either.

Mike

Thanks Mike, unfortunately I made the mistake of going to the LDS and trying on a new BC - I now have the dive gear bug again - Hate that!

If I can pull it off, I'm going to replace most of the old with new.
I really don't even want to bother trying to trim the faceplant out of a new Integrated BC and rear float w/AL80's - my Preference would be to just jump in and get the steel 95's and trim that setup w/the XCD2. Hopefully at that point I won't even have to bother with a weight belt.
I'm reading great things about XCD2 - sounds like it is a really nice suit, I think I'll look into getting the Cuffs installed at the factory & go w/Dry glove setup from the start.
By the way,I tried the "worse things" line - she just rolled her eyes ...didn't work so good for me! ...Goodluck w/Deep & Nitrox
JC

mlakin:
JC

The gloves that i'm currently using are the Bare 5mm gaunlet gloves, and my fingers do get chilled after a long dive, haven't decided to go with the dry gloves.

I use a BP/W and have two pouches on my waist for weight, but the ATR is actually a little below my waist, I can't really comment on how good it works because I've never used a non-ATR dry suit, but I don't think it would be in the way of a weight belt.

I picked up the double 95's, BP/W, dry suit, and reg's and it ran into the 2K ballpark, the wife wasn't to happy, so I told her there are worse things to be addicted to :) but anyway I should be good until next year when I spring for the Deep Air and Advanced Nitrox classes.

My dry suit came with the following
XCD2 suit, Bare 5mm gaunlet gloves, Bare dry hood, T-100 fleece suit, Two piece light weight fleece underwear, a utility pocket, and carrying bag for suit. This is why I chose divetank for the suit, There's nothing wrong with upgrading a little at a time either.

Mike

JC

If your looking for a BC have you checked out Dive-Rites transpac, especially if you are going to dive singles for a while, the trans pac can do both singles, and doubles a very versatile rig. Here's a link www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/transpac.shtml

I also upgrade alittle at a time, It's just the big dollar items that she frowns upon, (wait a minute every thing related to diving is expensive what was I thinking :) )

Well good luck with what ever dry suit you select, and happy diving.

Mike

Well I got my first dive in my 2005 Bare HD Tech Trilam. Fits like a glove! Tough suit. Richard is very knowledgable, got the suit to fit me dead on. Just need to build me a little longer weight belt because of the extra material around the torso. And my large Trek boots are a tight squeeze in my new XL Jets. May have to work on that. In any event I got a sweet deal from Divetank!

Mike, I was not aware of that site or the transpack, some cool stuff - I was looking for the Shears they have listed.
Thanks!
JC
mlakin:
JC

If your looking for a BC have you checked out Dive-Rites transpac, especially if you are going to dive singles for a while, the trans pac can do both singles, and doubles a very versatile rig. Here's a link www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/transpac.shtml

I also upgrade alittle at a time, It's just the big dollar items that she frowns upon, (wait a minute every thing related to diving is expensive what was I thinking :) )

Well good luck with what ever dry suit you select, and happy diving.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom