Barracuda Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoT & Iruka,

Yes, the mask and regulator I was suing took the full impact of the hit. Except for the teeth in the upper jaw that managed to get under the mask frame and went through my cheek and nose.

As I've mentioned in this thread, the impact was indescribable. I thought I had been hit by a boat that I did not hear. Also, there is no question in my mind that the fish attacked the brilliant reflection projected by the frame of the clear mask I was wearing. It simply thought it was food.

It is very interesting to hear of other attacks and incidents. There is very little known about this subject. Attacks seem to be very infrequent, and there does not seem to be any systematic reporting. DAN has a record of my attack, possibly they have records of others. I know they have shark attack stats. Be safe, ya'll.

Super
Collosal
Underwater
Barracuda
Attack

Cudabait, this is a truly enlightening reprot, I certainly have never heard of barracuda attacking humand, although there are so many people that think they are dangerous.

I have had a Garibaldi Damselfish try to bite my nose off though.

I believe it's more common than shark attacks (albiet they are relatively infrequent themselves), barracuda typically get attracted by anything nice and shiney such as a dive watch or any metallic surface on a set of regs. Normally, they will come closer to invesigate before swimming away, occasionally they will bump a diver (a behavioural trait often associated with sharks), extremely occasionally they may bite a diver.

crispos:
A twelve foot barracuda is truly an unheard of size.

I havent seen a 12 footer, but I have seen a 10 footer so I would think 12 foot is poss. Saw a 10 footer on a night dive, cuda came in attracted by my dive light and then swam off startled by the main beam.

Never felt threatened by them personally but I'll always give them enough respect as they are impressive fish!

Cudabait:
On Feb. 22, 2003, I was attacked by a 4' barracuda at Utila, Honduras. It was unprovoked, no spearfishing, etc. (Documented with PADI & DAN) I am very interested in hearing of any other barracuda attacks, worldwide. According to research I have done, there have been 29 reported attacks since 1873. Nineteen have been substantiated. Mine is number 20. If any of you have any information which is of interest, please post a reply.

CB, this post & the subsequent ones in this thread are amazing. Thank whatever deities we believe in that you & the others recovered to tell the tale(s).

Just a potent reminder that we really are visitors u/w and DEFINITELY not the top of the apex down there.

DSDO,

Barracuda Tacos
Fish tacos are THE hot new recipe. Try this one!

3/4 cup Lawry's Mesquite Marinade with Lime Juice
1 pound barracuda fillets
3/4 cup lowfat sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons Lawry's Taco Spices & Seasonings
2 cups shredded cabbage
8 flour tortillas
Aluminum foil
Nonstick cooking spray
Salsa
Lime wedges

In resealable plastic bag, combine Mesquite Marinade with Lime Juice and fish; seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours. Combine sour cream and Taco Spices & Seasonings; chill. Remove fish from marinade. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Grill fish on aluminum foil over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until fish just begins to flake. Cut fish in bite-size pieces; spoon into warm tortillas. Top with cabbage, sour cream mixture and salsa.

Makes 4 servings (2 tacos each)

ScubaNorth:
Barracuda Tacos
Fish tacos are THE hot new recipe. Try this one!

3/4 cup Lawry's Mesquite Marinade with Lime Juice
1 pound barracuda fillets

With the threat of cigueratera, I wouldn't advise eating 'cuda. However, with any other fish it would probably be great.

DSDO,

I guess that is why I love to dive cold, fresh water. I don't have to worry about being eaten!

Kevin[/QUOTE]

You mignt not get eaten, but you can still get bit and come back minus a hand or foot. I've skin dived in around here in Indiana and encountered alligator snapping turtles with heads the size of a small canteloupe. NOTE: They like to hang out in the opened trunks of sunken cars for some reason. Trust me I got a nice close look at one....started wearing chain mail gloves after that (that way the hand surgeons at the local hospital might still have something to work with).
I have seen, out of the water after being caught and dragged ashore, a snapping turtle that was bigger around than a manhole cover (approximately 2.5 feet across the shell and in excess of 50 lbs.). The guy shot it in the head with a .30 caliber rifle and it didn't die. They are tough SOB's. I'd take a barracuda in clear water any day.

Wow!

That was an impressive report!

I'm glad to hear that you are OK and still diving after such an ordeal.

Thank you for taking the time to share that with us.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom