Barracuda Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nasty Barras,

Soon after Cudabaits attack on Utila several groups of divers have been harrased by the barra with the hook though his lip in the Moon Hole area all during night dives.

On one occasion half way my descent the barra was there with us and never left until our ascend, it was very aggressive and intimidating towards us so we cut the dive short.

I have no problems with barra's during the day but on night dives it is a different story.

okidoki:
Nasty Barras,

Soon after Cudabaits attack on Utila several groups of divers have been harrased by the barra with the hook though his lip in the Moon Hole area all during night dives.

On one occasion half way my descent the barra was there with us and never left until our ascend, it was very aggressive and intimidating towards us so we cut the dive short.

I have no problems with barra's during the day but on night dives it is a different story.

By the way, everybody.........OKIDOKI is the instructor I was diving with when the barracida attack happened. He's the guy that did the unconcious diver surface (just in case) He's also great diver, person and friend.

Regards,

:bang:Oooooooooh Barracuda!
chong chuka chong chuka chong chuka chong
chuka chong chuck chong chuka chong chuka der deeerrrrrrrrrrr-ching!
:bang:

(sorry, just had to get that off my chest)

LeFlaneur:
:bang:Oooooooooh Barracuda!
chong chuka chong chuka chong chuka chong
chuka chong chuck chong chuka chong chuka der deeerrrrrrrrrrr-ching!
:bang:

(sorry, just had to get that off my chest)
LOL! You know, I bet most of the people here under thirty are probably wondering what in the world that was all about! Come to think of it, maybe some people over 70 might be wondering the same thing! :wink:

Rock on! :dazzler1:

Christian

Cudabait:
I have no doubt the fish attacked the mask I was wearing. It is a four window mask. I have replaced it with a black one which is identical. However, the clear silicon version of the mask literally mirrors light. It seems to be the way the glass meets the frame, because it is that particular area of the mask that brightly reflects light. Also, on the other hand, the mask is obviously very well built. It held up to a tremendous impact, did not brreak or shatter. The mask and my regulator probably saved my life or at least my right eye. The fish thought it was dinner and I happend to be wearing his dinner.

:bounce: :bounce: By the way, upon returning to Utila, I found out that the barracuda had most likely died. The attack happened at Airport Caves. Some of my diving friends told me that they saw the barracuda a few times after the deal. It's lower jaw appeared to be broken or dislocated and hanging to one side. They deduced the fish was unable to feed and died.

Dive safe

A reflection of light in the glass of your mask would in barracuda language equate to a shiny glittering sardine, I guess.

Anyway, interesting incident. Even though it off course is sad that it happened, it also reminds us that the sea is a wild place and that things can happen. In my experience it is trigger fish and turtles that are the true dangers to man when diving.

thank's for the story

C

does this mean all of us with clear mask need to hide behind our dive buddy if we see a barracuda.
after all i just got my mask i don,t want to give it up.

Wow that sounds terrible, my boyfriends parents go snorkelling in the carribean, i dont know where exactly, but they always go to one spot once a year and there is a barracuda there that follows them, always remaining 2feet behind them, and stopping when they stop to turn & look at him. they think he is just following them to make sure they arent doing anything bad in his territory. he has never harmed them..tell ya what tho if it was me i would be outta there quick!
Zoe

I see Cudas allmost every dive, here they're very common.

They never harras you if you're not spearfishing, if you're, they'll circle you and try to get your fish.

At night, that's another story, I just avoid them, here is a pic of 5 footer that wanted my grouper.

Me (on the right) & my brother took care of it

Mandy3206:
I see Cudas allmost every dive, here they're very common.

They never harras you if you're not spearfishing, if you're, they'll circle you and try to get your fish.

At night, that's another story, I just avoid them, here is a pic of 5 footer that wanted my grouper.

Me (on the right) & my brother took care of it

Mandy,

I think you're mostly correct in the assumption about night time attacks. Since I developed a strong personal interest in this subject, almost without exception, all of the persons using scuba that have experienced "barracuda hits' have been diving at night with lights of some kind. However, about three weeks ago, a marine researcher was attacked while snorkling in Cozumel. He was with his daughter, who witnessed the entire attack. Daylight, unprovoked, no shiney things. Barracuda came from below and hit divers left hand. Loss to diver was one complete finger and substantial part of left hand.

I don't fear barracudas as a result of my personal incident. I, like you, have been an avid sprearo for many years. Have speared many 'cudas myself. Great photo of you and your brother!!

Regards,

25 yrs ago I was just breaking in my new Rocket fins, the ones that where the hype of the moment (You can still get them brand new in the same shop I got mines 25 years ago), and I was skin diving in about 20' on my well known local reef, all of a sudden I saw a big tail going away, upon getting near it I found a 4-5' cuda at the other end of that tail.

At the time I was very ignorant about marine life and anything that resembled a predator was to be avoided at any cost, so I just turned around in fear and allmost run above the water with fins, speargun and float.

I remember this incident and am ashamed of myself for running, just because the misconception of the "killer Cudas" due to my ignorance in the subject.

After taking formal Scuba Education, I realize that every diver have to be aware that the interactions in the water are with wild animals and accidents could and will happen.

I'm not trying to disregard your accident with this in no way, and I'm glad that you are OK now and get time to inform yourself, most people would give up the ocean and Scuba, I'm glad you didn't.

I apreciate your imput sharing your story, 'cause it may get thinks back into perpective for some of us (me included) that tend to forget that accidents can happen even if you take all the cautions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom