Barracuda Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived with Cuda more than thirty years and have had no troubles with them. I've even hand fed a few while doing deco stops with speared fish. If they like "shiny" stuff, tell dive manufacturers to stop making first stages out of shiny metal. Tell mask manufacturers to stop making lenses that reflect light. Tell tech divers to stop using valves and manifolds that are shiny.
All in all, *%#@ happens when you dive into other critters homes. You accept the possibilities that these critters may misinterpret what they see, as we also often do. Don't blame them as being hostile killers, please.

Allison Finch:
I've dived with Cuda more than thirty years and have had no troubles with them. I've even hand fed a few while doing deco stops with speared fish. If they like "shiny" stuff, tell dive manufacturers to stop making first stages out of shiny metal. Tell mask manufacturers to stop making lenses that reflect light. Tell tech divers to stop using valves and manifolds that are shiny.
All in all, *%#@ happens when you dive into other critters homes. You accept the possibilities that these critters may misinterpret what they see, as we also often do. Don't blame them as being hostile killers, please.

Allison,

Your reading comprehension could use some improvement. Also your imbellishment is unwarranted. I have never blamed barracuda as being hostile killers. I would hope you don't "pop off" on the firing range as you have here on scubaboard.

Regards,

It's interesting how everyone says Barracuda are aggressive in North and South American waters. The cudas in Asia are quite tame. I've never even heard of a attack in Asian waters. In fact, shops don't even bother to remind divers to take off jewelrey. There's a reason why they have the nasty reputation but it just may be in this part of the world. Titan triggers in eastern thailand are down right nasty but on the west they are quite approachable. Different sea, different temperments.

Cudabait:
Allison,

Your reading comprehension could use some improvement. Also your imbellishment is unwarranted. I have never blamed barracuda as being hostile killers. I would hope you don't "pop off" on the firing range as you have here on scubaboard.

Regards,

My response was not a reaction to YOUR particular post but a sampling from many of them. I am very tired of people portraying sharks, cudas, rays octos as villians. That's all........<speaking of jumping off "halfcocked"...>

The speed and severing bite of a cuda are truely amazing. I watched a cuda hit a big amberjack on the end of my friends spear. WAP!!! .... Nothing left but a head.

I now take special care when coming to the surface with a stringer of fish. It's not that I'm worried about the fish. Rather, having the fish attached to a stringer and dangling against my left thigh seems like an invatation for disaster. I'm afraid a cuda hitting the fish may inadvertinly hit me as well. If I've seen cudas in the area, I now remove my stringer and attach it to my spear gun before I ascend. I then keep the fish far enough away from my person as I can.

esqeddy:
The speed and severing bite of a cuda are truely amazing. I watched a cuda hit a big amberjack on the end of my friends spear. WAP!!! .... Nothing left but a head.

I now take special care when coming to the surface with a stringer of fish. It's not that I'm worried about the fish. Rather, having the fish attached to a stringer and dangling against my left thigh seems like an invatation for disaster. I'm afraid a cuda hitting the fish may inadvertinly hit me as well. If I've seen cudas in the area, I now remove my stringer and attach it to my spear gun before I ascend. I then keep the fish far enough away from my person as I can.

Maybe you can benfeit from this system:

I've a small float made out of a gatorade bottle with a little hole in the cap for air exaust.
The float have a 10ft long poly line with a swivel clip at one end and the bottle at the other. The Stringer is knoted to the line in the float end, not to the float perse. The float is zip tied by the bottleneck to the loop at the Stringer leaving it upside down when air filled.
I chose the gatorade bottle for the wide throat, easier to fill with the octo.

In case someone wants to mess with your catch, you'll notice the pull in your belt and decide if you let go the system (grey suit visitor) or spear the attacker (usually a Cuda)

Before the dive, the line and stringer are neatly rolled around the bottle and cliped to my belt Dring, when I spear the first fish, I deploy the system and clip it to my belt again, then fill the float with air from the octo and let it go. The small hole in the cap is to let the air out when you surface (you fill it at the bottom)

The advantage using this method are the following:

1) The fish is not near you in case the greysuit comes around.
2) The fish spines won't poke you.
3) You don't have to go to the surface float to leave your fish, just pull the line, string, and let go.
4) The fish doesn't drag on the bottom.
5) The float won't pull you up with that small air volume.
6) The float can handle well over 20# of fish without a problem.
7) The system is very compact and until deployment, you barely notice it.
8) The bottle can be replaced very cheaply.

I started with a bigger bottle, but upon trying out diferent ones I settled for the gatorade size. I started with 20 ft long line but find out that 10 ft is just fine.

The first couple of times that you use this system, you may want to adapt it to your dive style, but once you know how to work it, it's very effective and easy to use, I never jump in the water without mine, even in a non spearo dive, you can clip your mesh bag to the float in case you find a bug or some small artifact.

My setup is for SCUBA diving.
The reason is to eliminate the need to surface to leave the fish in the Stringer hanging from the surface float.

In the case of freediving, you have to surface anyway so in freediving, there's no need for this setup.

The main reason I developed this setup is that I was tired of the fish poking in my leg during the dive, not to mention the premature wear of the wetsuit.

I dive in the caribbean, no kelp here, so for reef diving it's excellent.

If any diver wants to fish in an overhead enviroment, Like a cavern or wreck (shouldn't fish in a cave), I wouldn't recomend this settup due to entanglement hazard.

Just my $0.02

I think saw that fish last October snorkelling out there! I was floating out by the coaling station and turned and saw this HUGE 'cuda (I'm sure he looked bigger with the refraction) but I estimated that he was at least 5-6' !

I just slowly turned and kept going..looking over my shoulder to make sure he didn't follow...

crispos:
Sure, if you have a bleeding fish on your spear, they are going to get excited. You don't say whether you had anything on your spear. People, barracuda, are nasty looking, but all they will do is make a sudden grab for your fish, or your jewelry, if you decide to wear it (foolish). The biggest barracuda I have ever seen were maybe 7 feet long off the Dry Tortugas islands. A twelve foot barracuda is truly an unheard of size.

http://www.uga.edu/cuda/morphology.html
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/GreatBarracuda/GreatBarracuda.html

I would say you were visited by some reef sharks, or it was the old 1/3 closer, 1/3 bigger rule.

I have seen, out of the water after being caught and dragged ashore, a snapping turtle that was bigger around than a manhole cover (approximately 2.5 feet across the shell and in excess of 50 lbs.)... The guy shot it in the head with a .30 caliber rifle

why? :(

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please see attached image

Attachments

• IMG_0128a.jpg
    IMG_0128a.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited by a moderator:
After the attack on Cudabait I have been harrased alot by cuda's as well i have been targeted when i had my U/W camera with me, at Duppy Water once i have been surrounded by about 8 cuda's with very aggasive behaviour, the one that i saw that attacked cudabait was about 3to 4 feet long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom