basic backplate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned, getting it fit properly the first time is somewhat of a pain, but no biggie. I'd second NEW's recommendation that you have someone used to using one assist you with the fit the first time. You can also find some pictures showing proper fitting here:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

The potential discomfort mentioned by LW when diving with minimal exposure protection in warm water is an individual sensitivity thing. I normally dive mine in warm water with minimal exposure protection, such as a thin polartec or a 3 mil, and I've never noticed any discomfort from the stiff webbing of the shoulder straps, and those of my buddies who have been similarly outfitted haven't mentioned any discomfort, either. I suspect this being an issue for someone is uncommon, but if it is for you, you might want to check out this angle for yourself before parting with your money. Alternatively, you could slip a thin cushioning sleeve over the shoulder portion of the strap if it ever became an issue. I've read of some people doing that, although I've never seen it.

Streamlined, hydrodynamically efficient, stable.
Allows most divers to use less weight.
Comfortable when properly adjusted.
Crotchstrap keeps the rig from 'riding up' on some body types.
Easily convertible from single tank to doubles config.
Doesn't have a bunch of useless features (flapping pockets, chest straps, etc.)
Modular, packs easily.
Doesn't come in day-glo colors for accessorizing.

Cons

You frequently have to explain to people on the boat what it is.
You have to endure being called a 'tech wannabe'...
Nasty Kool-Aid aftertaste.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Definitely a consideration for divers in Sitka, Alaska :eek:ut:

I skip my morning cup of coffee. At least I said the cold water divers like them better.

I'll be trying mine out in Florida in a few weeks - will see how it goes with the lighter suit. I'm a bit worried I'll feel a lump from the dump valve from the SMB tucked in the backpack, but will see.

I just used mine in Aruba with a 3mm. And I dive during the summer in a t shirt and it's fine.

But you may have a different oppinion about it.

I love it with the t shirt and shorts. Without a suit it seems more streemlined. Probably since I don't have the little resistance to my movements from my wetsuit.

i use a stainless steel bp here in the tropics myself. 0.5mm neoprene full suit 2kg trim weights on the tank band.

a little con, though. make sure you have the wing nuts that hold the single tank adapter to the plate screwed on real tight. better yet i've heard of washers being used to do this. it appears the nuts sometimes come loose after a dive. i've experienced this once myself and thereafter i've checked after every dive to make sure the nuts are on tight. strap compression?

a little potential inconvenience which by no means diminishes the merits of the plate pack.

K

(if you guys have to make a joke about the "nuts" thing, fire away. . . )

seakdivers once bubbled...
Are there any cons to using one?

I don't think so but, I'm sure others will disagree.

It's a great rig and performs very well.

Some people think they are great, others do not like them.

Try one and decide for yourself.

Is this turning into another "I used my BP in the tropics and it was wonderful" thread? I tried it and the result was not for me. Its the same old chestnut as the English say. A bunch around here says the BP is the ultimate in every application and another group say its great for doubles, fine for singles in cold water and not the greatest for singles in the tropics. Think about it. One BC that is perfect everywhere. Things that sound too good to be true usually are.

Leadweight:

Certainly there are other options that will work. However, I note that this question specifically asked about BP&W's.

I've yet to find a BC that will let me wear a 3mm suit and no weight when I dive in the tropics.

My Halcyon Pioneer 18 does just that. Add an AL80 and it feels like you're flying through the water.

This may be somewhat moot as I don't think that Sitka, Alaska is tropical.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom