basic backplate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
I'll be trying mine out in Florida in a few weeks - will see how it goes with the lighter suit. I'm a bit worried I'll feel a lump from the dump valve from the SMB tucked in the backpack, but will see.

Pack the SMB so that the valves face the backplate and you won't feel a thing. If anything, it'll feel like a pillow on your back!!

in the tropics and it was wonderful.

It is pretty wonderful in lakes, rivers, and cold water, too.

Is it too good to be true?....nah, it's just a good design.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Leadweight:

Certainly there are other options that will work. However, I note that this question specifically asked about BP&W's.

I've yet to find a BC that will let me wear a 3mm suit and no weight when I dive in the tropics.

My Halcyon Pioneer 18 does just that. Add an AL80 and it feels like you're flying through the water.

This may be somewhat moot as I don't think that Sitka, Alaska is tropical.:)

When I rented a BP, I needed only 2# with a 3/2mm shortie. I stuck the weight on the waist belt and did not worry about a separate weight belt. You are fortunate to not need any extra weight. However, having no dumpable weight is an issue in itself. My problem was with chafing through the thin wetsuit. The starter of the thread wanted to know the negatives too. Nothing in this world is perfect for everyone all the time, but some things are great for some people most or all of the time. While I prefer my TPII to a BP for the mostly tropical diving that I do, I would dive a BP before I would mess with many BC's, especially the so called extended range bulky back inflate BC's that a lot of BP users e-bayed when they switched to a BP.

That said, my advice to you is to go diving as soon as possible and have a great time.

No worries.

I haven't experienced chafing with a BP (I did with a BC, but I'm convinced that it didn't fit properly). That said, I can see where it would be worrisome. And there is no doubt that a TPII is a very nice unit.

I wholly agree about the BC's you describe. I'd purchase a TP long before I bought a traditional BC.

As for no ditchable weight, I have no concern on this issue. Even in the Carribean, I always carry at least one lift bag; therefore, I always have at least one source of alternate lift and can ascend even if I lose my lift bladder.

Besides, I've never been a real fan of the emergency buoyant ascent, except as a nice way to win a DAN-paid chamber ride. As my current instructor and dive buddy puts it, "make a buoyant ascent, create an emergency".

I dive double 104's specifically because they don't require weight. This is accepted when diving doubles. So why not with singles?

In terms of ascending, the biggest difference between doubles and my 18 lb wing is that the Pioneer would be significantly easier to swim to the surface if I lost all sources of lift.

I had not thought about the lift bag, its a good idea. However, your comments underscore the need to have a complete approach to one's diving.

When moving away from traditional recreational dive gear additional training & proceedure is necessary to account for some of these differences. Its like diving a long hose. It needs to be planted firmly in your mind that the main will be donated in the event of an out of air emergency and any buddy with a standard hose setup (like me) needs to be informed of that.

I take no credit for it. I learned about it from the senior instructor at my LDS, who also made me practice it.

leadweight once bubbled...
I had not thought about the lift bag, its a good idea. However, your comments underscore the need to have a complete approach to one's diving.

When moving away from traditional recreational dive gear additional training & proceedure is necessary to account for some of these differences. Its like diving a long hose. It needs to be planted firmly in your mind that the main will be donated in the event of an out of air emergency and any buddy with a standard hose setup (like me) needs to be informed of that.

Although I agree that the pre-dive check should cover this, the bottom line is that the OOA diver is going for the reg in your mouth anyway-no matter what you tell them!! That "octo" better work, 'cause it's going to be your source of air....

detroit diver once bubbled...

Although I agree that the pre-dive check should cover this, the bottom line is that the OOA diver is going for the reg in your mouth anyway-no matter what you tell them!! That "octo" better work, 'cause it's going to be your source of air....

And, that is why I don't have an Air 2. Getting off track, but, the 2003 Scubapro catalog shows a diver wearing an S-Tec with an Air 2 attached to the wing. I guess that is where they think the octo should go. Beats me why a company that makes some really great dive gear is so into that goofy Air 2.

And, that is why I don't have an Air 2. Getting off track, but, the 2003 Scubapro catalog shows a diver wearing an S-Tec with an Air 2 attached to the wing. I guess that is where they think the octo should go. Beats me why a company that makes some really great dive gear is so into that goofy Air 2.

I never understood that piece of "equipment" either.

Is this turning into another "I used my BP in the tropics and it was wonderful" thread?

Tropics?:confused: You mean there is actually water above 50degrees and with more than 10-20 ft of vis. I have never used my BP outside of coldwater diving :( Who knows......someday i'll get to try out some of that tropical stuff:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom