Basic Buying Tips For New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmarine_7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am a new diver and read this article and it really helped me to understand how regulators work. I have been shopping for one and get the "glazed look" when the salesperson starts talking balanced 1st and/or 2nd stage. Hope this helps some of you new divers like it did me. Now I feel a little more confident about shopping for one.

Regulators – basic buying tips for new divers: Scuba Diving News

I am a new diver and read this article and it really helped me to understand how regulators work. I have been shopping for one and get the "glazed look" when the salesperson starts talking balanced 1st and/or 2nd stage. Hope this helps some of you new divers like it did me. Now I feel a little more confident about shopping for one.

Regulators – basic buying tips for new divers: Scuba Diving News

I've got a tip for you: "Patience + work = money"

If you have patience and don't mind a little effort, you can often search out a great deal on hardly-used top-shelf equipment, and buy it from someone who was sold a weekend class and a package deal, then blew out an ear or almost drowned, and never dived again.

These are typically sitting the the garage or basement in case they want to dive again "someday."

Ask your friends and relatives if they know anybody who "used to dive".

All regs need periodic service, so if you buy a used reg, it just means that it will need service before you use it.

flots

PS. Make sure you can get it inspected before paying, just to make sure you don't buy something that's been sitting at the bottom of the reef for the last 5 years.

If you have patience and don't mind a little effort, you can often search out a great deal on hardly-used top-shelf equipment, and buy it from someone who was sold a weekend class and a package deal, then blew out an ear or almost drowned, and never dived again.

These are typically sitting the the garage or basement in case they want to dive again "someday."

Ask your friends and relatives if they know anybody who "used to dive".

All regs need periodic service, so if you buy a used reg, it just means that it will need service before you use it.

flots

PS. Make sure you can get it inspected before paying, just to make sure you don't buy something that's been sitting at the bottom of the reef for the last 5 years.

When my wife's friend got recommended on a full set of top of the line scubapro gear, I told my wife she got scammed by the shop since she was a know nothing person and they could pretty much tell her to buy anything they want. But I thought it shouldn't be too big a deal because after a few years of gathering dust, I could unload it from her. Not sure if my wife told her what I said, but she never got that set of gear.

Where are some places you find good deals? I've seen Craigs list had a few but do you have any other place to look?

In the article there still seems to be some confusion about unbalanced 1st stages.....talking about a drop in performance below 60'.
ALL regulators are balanced for depth.
What balancing means for a 1st stage is that it is balanced against tank pressure. In other words the intermediate pressure will remain constant regardless of tank pressure. An unbalanced 1st stage will have a small drop in IP as the tank pressure gets lower.

In the article there still seems to be some confusion about unbalanced 1st stages.....talking about a drop in performance below 60'.
ALL regulators are balanced for depth.
What balancing means for a 1st stage is that it is balanced against tank pressure. In other words the intermediate pressure will remain constant regardless of tank pressure. An unbalanced 1st stage will have a small drop in IP as the tank pressure gets lower.

Yep, couldn't have said it better. Once again, an article by an 'expert' who seems to lack the most basic understanding of how balanced valves work.

I only read the first paragraph where the article confuses balancing and depth compensating, then gave up on it, so I can't comment about any other good or bad information in it. I suggest that the OP edit his post to withdraw the link.

Where are some places you find good deals? I've seen Craigs list had a few but do you have any other place to look?
For used gear, Craigslist and eBay are a start. Also, many of the scuba forums, including SB, have sections where divers post used gear for sale. I have used one of those to buy some tanks before - fair price, got what I wanted.

The emphasis in flots am's post is not so much on 'where', but 'how'. Do your homework on gear, and decide what you want, based on the kind of diving you are most likely to do - down to the specific brand(s) and model(s) you are willing to consider. Doing that work also includes finding out what brand service is available locally Then find the best online price for new equipment of the brand and model you have decided on, and use that price as a benchmark. It may or may not end up as what you pay when you buy - you may decide to pay considerably more, because there is additional value in a particular transaction. But, if you know what you want, and what a fair price is, you have a better chance of spotting a good deal when it comes along. My standard for used gear is never pay more than 50% of the lowest new price I can find. I usually pay much less. But, I let A LOT of things go on eBay because the bidding becomes ridiculous. And, that is where the 'patience' piece comes in (I may refer to it as 'discipline' but the point is the same) - be patient, wait until you find what you want, at the price you are willing to pay.

I have only regretted a scuba purchase on eBay once - I didn't do my homework (primary issue), and I wasn't patient (compounded the lack of background work). I have regretted a few purchases at my LDS, but not many. And, again, my regrets were based on my own failure, to do my homework and to be patient / disciplined, not on dealing with my LDS.

Thanks Colliam7 that's good advice! It's hard as a newly certified diver. I just want to get out and buy some equipment. haha

My tips:

1.) When you buy a dive computer, make sure it can handle nitrox, which doesn't cost much more in a computer and you may be diving it someday.

2.) A dive computer that can connect to a computer so you can download dives is a nice feature, especially if you use 3'rd party software like MacDive or DiveLog and use it to keep a dive log on your computer.

3.) I prefer weight integrated BCD's. After all, you can wear a weight belt with one if you want, but if you don't get a weight integrated BCD, you have to use the belt. Assuming you're not using backplate-wing, which is a separate discussion.

4.) When you get dive boots, consider a pair with a thick enough sole for walking around on rough iron shore. I use Sea Soft Sunrays, which I got for shore diving Bonaire. They work fine generally, so I see no point in buying those very thin-soled 'booties.'

5.) If you buy a used regulator or tank, factor in the cost of servicing the reg., or getting a hydro. & viz. on the tank. Then find out if buying one at your local dive shop would entail some free servicing a time or two for that reg., or some free air fills for that tank.

6.) Give a lot of thought to your dive computer choice. They cost money, and if you don't get what you want, buying another will jack up your costs. Wrist mount or console, air-integrated or not, think it though.

7.) Consider getting an SMB for your ocean charter boat dives. If you get separated from the boat, your head sticking up a little isn't very visible at a distance with even small waves between you & the boat, and from people post, drifting lost at sea is no fun. Hopefully you'll never need it, but will have it if you do.

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom