Basic Suggestions for better video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a videographer, but in answer to the person who asked about using his wife's still shots in the video -- As a video ENJOYER, I love people who do that. Use the video to give the overall impression of the site, and the motion and progress of the dive, and interpose good still photos to bring in the true colors, and to record fine detail. I have seen some videos done by pros where they used lights and macro, but you can never really be still, and the smaller the subject, the more distracting and annoying the motion is to the viewer.

I use a little humble Canon Power Shot A570 digital camera without any strobe lights (so I am limited to shoot in very shallow water otherwise there wouldn't be enough light I guess) to shoot my, obviously, humble video clips.

The camera has an underwater setting.

Do I still have to set up the white balance?

Lynne, I know what you mean about swimming slowly so the images don't 'run' too fast on the screen making you feel dizzy. I was able to 'slow down' the stream of images by using the 'slow motion' option in the Windows Movie Maker that I use to edit my video clips. It did help, but next time I will try to swim slower.

Cheers

I have seen some videos done by pros where they used lights and macro, but you can never really be still, and the smaller the subject, the more distracting and annoying the motion is to the viewer.
Take a look at this one. :)
Attack of the Sea Slugs High Resolution

I use a little humble Canon Power Shot A570 digital camera without any strobe lights (so I am limited to shoot in very shallow water otherwise there wouldn't be enough light I guess) to shoot my, obviously, humble video clips.

The camera has an underwater setting.

Do I still have to set up the white balance?

Cheers

Now that I am thinking about it I have the feeling that I have asked a dumb question.

I guess not...

Last edited:

That film is a good example of planting the video camera on an tripod or stake in order to get good stability. As an amateur videographer I try very hard not to disturb the sea floor or other living marine life when filming. This is not easy and requires that my hovering skills be honed constantly.

As for lighting, I use powerful lights halogen or LED lights when I plan on doing mostly closeup or macro shots. However, lights won't help much for wide angle panoramic shots.

Here is a video I shot last Saturday in Catalina with only a red filter. I could have used lights on a couple of scenes but since the current was ripping pretty good I decided on leaving them on shore.

ditto about the red filter.... lights are great sometimes, but really only work for close up work or night diving.
Here is my video shot last week, only using red filter (just like what teamcasa did) in california.

colors look very true and natural.

Here is my video shot last week, underwater segment using dive lights as the dive was deep and darker than the other location:

robin:D

Love the colors on those blue nudibranchs.

Ron, I gotta get you out to Calif to dive! They call it the Galapagos of North America for a reason! Seriously, great diving and tons of critters that you don't see anywhere else. I think it is some of the best diving anywhere in the world (that's why we keep going back every year). The only reason people stay away is the water temp, summer/fall 60s-70s and winter/spring 40s-50s. If the water was warm though it would be crowded and over-priced, plus no kelp as it must be less than 70 degrees to live. :wink:

I wish we had been there more than 2 days this year but we just didn't have any vacation time to spare with the job changes. Next year we are going to do 3-4 days so we can get in more dives. I only took in the camcorder on 3 dives (of the 10 dives offered). :wink: Ron took in his still camera every dive, his photos are here: California on the Great Escape - Sept 2009

sorry for the thread highjack. :focus:

robin:D

Teamcasa, Robint,

You have made impressive videos !
what equipment were you using - camcorder or shots made from regular camera?

Hi Robin. Thanks for the invite. By the end of the Galapagos trip I was comfortable in my 7mm jumpsuit with hood. Only problem diving California for me is the flight from NY. It's around 6 hours. I do like the kelp videos as well as the nudibranchs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom