Basics of Exploration TEC class by Interspace Explores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh the diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
has any one taken the Basics of Exploration TEC class by Interspace Explores? I am looking for feedback on what the class is like. my goal is to eventually get into exploration diving. wondering if its worth it or if i should get into GUE, they sound very similar.

Similar to UTD, ISE spun out of GUE due to a bit of a falling out by their respective heads and GUE. The mentality is very similar, but as @PfcAJ said, ISE has very little presence in the US.
Take a GUE course if you're in the US.
You are up in the neck of the woods of a really good UTD instructor based out of Detroit, but GUE still has a lot more clout in the US.

ISE not an agency you can take a technical course with anywhere near Wisconsin. Here is their entire instructor list.
Instructors | InnerSpace Explorers

The founder got kicked out of GUE years ago, hence the similarities.

What happened?
People leave or get kicked out of GUE all the time. Strong personalities clash and poof you're gone.

People leave or get kicked out of GUE all the time. Strong personalities clash and poof you're gone.

Fair. I've seen his youtube channel but didn't know if it was something scandalous or just a difference of philosophy.

There’s also a story of violating standards / doing something deemed unsafe. One example was teaching OC students while being on a rebreather. Probably only part of the story though, and likely has two sides to it as does any story.

Regardless, I agree with the other posters. Even if you did somehow find an ISE instructor, I would still recommend GUE over it. The community is much larger, easier to connect, more recognized and more active (eg more projects around the globe or local communities that you can join).

Fair. I've seen his youtube channel but didn't know if it was something scandalous or just a difference of philosophy.
At the time I'm sure it was horrendously scandalous lol. But like most things, with the passage of time its forgotten. At one time there was a list of all the GUE instructors (on a Spanish website somewhere) who had come and gone and you could sort of figure out why if you dug into it. Achim left way over a decade ago now though and the "story" is long gone.

At the time I'm sure it was horrendously scandalous lol. But like most things, with the passage of time its forgotten. At one time there was a list of all the GUE instructors (on a Spanish website somewhere) who had come and gone and you could sort of figure out why if you dug into it. Achim left way over a decade ago now though and the "story" is long gone.
Not entirely. Had a conversation about this with someone at ISE, formerly UTD. I'm sure you can guess who that is.

It shouldn't, but it still surprises me how small the dive world can be and the history that people share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom