Battery Clarification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomer68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I have read the previous threads on this from a while back. Just to clarify - what is ok and not okay? Are the rules for coming to Coz or Leaving or both?

For Carry on Bags

Battery already in camera?

Batteries already in lights?

Extra packages of batteries? any type

NIMH batteries are ok?

Extra lithiums - no?

For Checked bags

Extra batteries in packages ok?

Extra Lithiums?

Thanks,

Good thread. The rules/enforcement on batteries have changed so many times the past few years that it warrants an update.

Anyone?

I think it kind of depends who is on that day. Here is what I do and have NEVER had a problem: anything that is carry-on (camera, lights whatever), the battery is installed in the device. Any loose batteries go in checked bags. Both directions. YMMV

A few years ago the rule was batteries had to go in checked luggage so you couldn't use them on the plane to detonate a bomb. Then some brilliant tsa arsehole figure out that if batteries in a checked bag somehow shorted, it could cause a fire in the luggage compartment with no one there to put it out, so they changed it to where all batteries had to be carry on. There was so much confusion that it ended up with lots of Scuba Board members having all of their batteries confiscated by the Mexican security when departing Cozumel. It never happened to me, but a bunch of others posted on here about it.

I plan to go read up on what the current TSA rules say before we head down in four weeks, and I'll bring a printed copy with me in case I have any trouble......

I plan to go read up on what the current TSA rules say before we head down in four weeks, and I'll bring a printed copy with me in case I have any trouble......

TSA is probably only applicable in the US. It's a US gov't program, right?

A few years ago the rule was batteries had to go in checked luggage so you couldn't use them on the plane to detonate a bomb. Then some brilliant tsa arsehole figure out that if batteries in a checked bag somehow shorted, it could cause a fire in the luggage compartment with no one there to put it out, so they changed it to where all batteries had to be carry on. There was so much confusion that it ended up with lots of Scuba Board members having all of their batteries confiscated by the Mexican security when departing Cozumel. It never happened to me, but a bunch of others posted on here about it.

Security agents in other countries inspecting passengers & bags for flights to the US do have to meet TSA standards, but not by TSA rules - so your print out won't help in Mexico.

I think it kind of depends who is on that day. Here is what I do and have NEVER had a problem: anything that is carry-on (camera, lights whatever), the battery is installed in the device. Any loose batteries go in checked bags. Both directions. YMMV
That's about what I've done with no problems. I remove batteries from lights in checked bags so they won't look funny on x-ray or turn on creating dangerous heat as I still have one halogen light. Any lose batteries need to be packed safely.

Security agents in other countries inspecting passengers & bags for flights to the US do have to meet TSA standards, but not by TSA rules - so your print out won't help in Mexico.

That's about what I've done with no problems. I remove batteries from lights in checked bags so they won't look funny on x-ray or turn on creating dangerous heat as I still have one halogen light. Any lose batteries need to be packed safely.

Good points Don! I was about to reply that Mexican airport security tries to follow TSA standards on flights to the U.S. but you beat me to it.

A few years ago when they required batteries to be in checked bags, they also required them to either be in the original unopened package, or for them to have tape over each end to keep them from shorting. Now apparently just having them in your light, camera, or dive computer or laptop as a carry on is ok.

Has anyone on here been given a hard time lately for carry on batteries that are installed in the device?

Last November I had 4 rechargable batteries "stolen" from me by the Mexican TSA agent. She said batteries in my strobe are OK but loose batteries must be in a checked bag. She also explained batteries inside a device (laptop, camera, DVD player, strobe etc.) are OK but loose batteries must be in checked.
Another traveler I was talking to had a whole package of 24 batteries (still in the original packing and unopened) "stolen" from them, because it was in their carry on.

I had no problems with the batteries (carry on or checked) once I arrived in the US.

They did have these notices in the airline check-in area for returning flights to the US...

Coz checkin.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom