BC Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nbkoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi I am new at the forum here, and I am making a research about BCD for double SM and single BM. I would like to start sidemounting but also I think, I will continue single BM, but I don't think I will go for Double BM. So can you make advices for me about this.

Thanks.

Hi, nbkoc,

Garry Dallas, one of the top SM instructors strongly advised me into the Diamond system. I've not tried other, but Diamond serves me really well. It has EU certificate, too. Just take care to equip it with the sliding rings (rigid D-rings with slightly bent base) on the waist belt for trimming the tanks and consider a continuous loop, as it comes with two separate loops. Apeks SM regulator set is hard to surpass. But the most important for starting side mount diving is to find a really good instructor. Why don't you try Garry? He might be willing to go to your place to give you a tutorship. https://www.facebook.com/Simplysidemount?fref=ts

Oh, yes, if you opt for Diamond system, I warmly recommend to get also the weighting system. Without it, the weights are threaded on you waist belt and make the rig permanently heavy. The DTD produce it and they were so kind to make for me one with the pockets opening away from centre and with additional inner pouches so that you can pull out the weights. Originally it is designed for cave diving where no one would consider ditching the weights. I think, now this modified model is on their product list, too.

Last edited:
there's really no point in doing single backmount, the sidemount systems with a single AL80 on your side are very nice and just as functional, so no real reason to go back. Armadillo is probably the best one for that, but hard to find. I would consider going to a true sidemount rig unless you're doing technical diving in which case the Nomad and SMS100 are the only ones that will really schlep heavy steels with multiple stage/deco bottles, the rest just don't have enough lift to do it properly.

http://utdequipment.com/product_info.php?cPath=101&products_id=381

This is one of my favourite systems, single and double tank SM as well as single BM. Great versatility. The pro wing is as bulletproof as it gets, great for wreck and cave. It's not a requirement but there are UTD instructors in Lebanon, Greece and Dubai, kinda close,lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom