BC for Kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NuttyGambler

Reaction score
I have two children currently 13 and 10.

My wife doesn't dive and am looking forward to having a family member dive partner in the near future. I would like to start them with quality gear.

I have a Hal backplate and wing setup. Is this an option for a smaller person? The one nice thing about it, is it is not "sized" so they could grow with it.

Looking for ideas?

overlooking the 9' spg hose on a retractor...here is a picture that I took of my 11 year old son in Maui a few weeks ago. He's wearing a standard sized FredT bp and a Halcyon 27# wing. It worked great and he was very comfortable in it. Also, he is 4'10" and around 85# so he's not a real big kid, but the setup he has really works well for him.

boomx5:
overlooking the 9' spg hose on a retractor...here is a picture that I took of my 11 year old son in Maui a few weeks ago. He's wearing a FredT bp and a Halcyon 27# wing. It worked great and he was very comfortable in it. Also, he is 4'10" and around 85# so he's not a real big kid, but the setup he has really works well for him.

My 12 1/2 year old son is about 5' 105 lbs. He dives a FredT short plate with an Eclipse #30 wing. He likes this setup much better than his old Scubapro classic both for all the reasons anyone else might but also because no bc really fit his small frame that well. Once he passes 5'5" or so, I'll switch him to a standard sized plate.

Without a doubt, look at the diverite site (www.diverite.com) for BC's that fit them perfectly. I believe they also have a program where the BC can be replaced as the child grows for nothing or a small fee. Not sure about this, but I thought I overheard someone talking about it. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom