BC for my 11 yr old son

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the advantage of the softplate over the standard BP/W? I hear people recommend them, but I never felt that a regular plate was uncomfortable. And it sure is nice to have those 6 lbs of balance right next to your lungs and your center of mass....

Because we are dealing with a child and a normal size plate would probably be uncomfortable for him. If the OP was looking for a new BC for himself, I would recommend a hard plate.

Because we are dealing with a child and a normal size plate would probably be uncomfortable for him.

I never found that to be the case... but maybe that's just me. I don't know why it would be different for a child, though. The rigid backplate has always been more comfortable than a soft jacket. Maybe padded plates are different.

If your 11 year old is like my 13 year old boys, comfort is primary. Lugging around a 6 lb steel or aluminum backplate in a dive bag is not fun. Helping someone put one on & pinching your finger between the plate & tank is awful. Padded backplate may be a better option.

Does it HAVE to be purple?

for you, yes...

for others:

upload_2019-7-18_17-35-49.png

Helping someone put one on & pinching your finger between the plate & tank is awful. Padded backplate may be a better option.

How often do you experience this "finger-pinching" phenomenon you speak of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom