BC inflator failure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditching gear and ascending with a buddy is a good plan.

Sure it is--if your rig is hopelessly entangled in something. That's a terrible plan for a stuck open inflator, involving a great deal of extra risk that's totally unnecessary to solve the problem.

I won't even begin to address the hilarious idea that the diver with the problem will be instantly perceived to have a BC issue and be within grab reach of their buddy when they start ascending due to an inflating BC.

First priority should be to disconnect the LPI hose while fighting the ascent.

Beginner question here. I've always connected|disconnected the LPI hose with no pressure in the system. Is it any different when pressure is on ? How about reconnecting with pressure on if i want to practice the skill underwater ?

Beginner question here. I've always connected|disconnected the LPI hose with no pressure in the system. Is it any different when pressure is on ? How about reconnecting with pressure on if i want to practice the skill underwater ?

You can try it on land first to hear a small pop as it comes off and if you are of moderate strength you will find some resistance putting it back on but you will be fine.
The trick is when you are diving in cold water and have bulky gloves on - my son uses a 3 finger mitt and has lots of trouble. Using 5 finger gloves makes it easier.

It's generally easier to disconnect under pressure, and more difficult to reconnect but by no means impossible. Practice connecting and reconnecting under pressure on land first, then give it a go underwater. Worst case scenario, go to your redundant air source (buddy, pony, whatever) and turn off the main tank to reconnect more easily underwater when practicing.

Colder water will present significant differences in difficulty. The sort of hose "hats" linked above can be a blessing when using gloves, but may not work well with some inflator/corrugated hose types. For example, Halcyon's wide, deeply corrugated inflator hose does not allow enough clearance from the inflator nipple for the DSS hat to function easily. Putting it back on is a horrible PITA.

It's generally easier to disconnect under pressure, and more difficult to reconnect but by no means impossible. Practice connecting and reconnecting under pressure on land first, then give it a go underwater. Worst case scenario, go to your redundant air source (buddy, pony, whatever) and turn off the main tank to reconnect more easily underwater when practicing.

Colder water will present significant differences in difficulty. The sort of hose "hats" linked above can be a blessing when using gloves, but may not work well with some inflator/corrugated hose types. For example, Halcyon's wide, deeply corrugated inflator hose does not allow enough clearance from the inflator nipple for the DSS hat to function easily. Putting it back on is a horrible PITA.

You want a basic ow diver to shut down his only air supply and go to a buddies reg so they can more easily connect a inflation hose ?¿¿??????? Lol

You want a basic ow diver to shut down his only air supply and go to a buddies reg so they can more easily connect a inflation hose ?¿¿??????? Lol

I assumed this should be done in shallow water. Anyhow, disconnecting the hose is the skill I want to practice. I would have no problem completing a dive using the oral inflator if need be.

Pay close attention to the order of operations I suggested.

those things are junk. I have one I can send to anyone for the cost of shipping if you're determined to test it for yourself...unless i threw it away already...hmm...

anyway, disconnecting the LP hose under pressure is very easy, pops right off with a little pull. The hose hats and various other (more effective) solutions are for the problem of pulling back the cuff while connecting to the inflator, a process requiring more manual dexterity than the removal. BUT, if you eve have to do that at depth, and you are having trouble, forget it and orally inflate. Removal and oral inflation are easily mastered skills.

...wait...do vest-style BCs have the option to orally inflate?? I think only the fancy new ones with the lever-controlled power inflator don't? In any case, if you're worried about reconnecting, pick up the "EZ-ON Quick Disconnect Adapter" at DGX. I just bought 3. The allow you to just push the LP hose onto the inflator, no weird push-pull two/three handed nonsense. (note: you have to also by a short regulator hose to use for your inflator using this adapter...altogether about $30 and you never have to deal with that pain in the butt struggle again!)

Last edited:
Since this is the Basic Forum: The greatest risk here isn’t getting bent, it is embolizing. Getting bent within recreational limits is a low probability and is easily treated even with significant delays getting in a chamber. Bursting your lungs is a sure-thing if your airway is blocked and is unlikely you would get to the ladder or beach alive. Exhale first, disconnect the QD is second, and maintain your gear better is third.

The sort of hose "hats" linked above can be a blessing when using gloves, but may not work well with some inflator/corrugated hose types. For example, Halcyon's wide, deeply corrugated inflator hose does not allow enough clearance from the inflator nipple for the DSS hat to function easily. Putting it back on is a horrible PITA.

"Hose Hats" were designed to make disconnection easier, not connection. Given that disconnection can be a urgent matter and connection (or reconnection) usually is much less vital it's a fair trade off IMO.

There is a notch in the side of a DSS hose hat that needs to be oriented with wide oval hoses. This can make connection under water more difficult.

With conventional round corrugated hoses this interference is not present.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom