BCD fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrx3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been using a basic non-integrated Sherwood BCD for a few years (relatively rarely). It worked fine for a while, then I lost some weight (or may be just started noticing BCD fit some more).

At this point, while this BCD fits well around the chest, it seems to be "insecure" around my stomach/waist area. Either I have to close it too tight (and then its hard to breath) or it "rides up" towards the end of the dive as the tank becomes more buoyant.

I wonder if you've had to deal with something like that? How would you find a BCD that doesn't do that? Would weights integrated into BCD make it more likely to stay put?

I agree with Jim. Add a crotch strap and see how she rides. Most (not all) BCs have a little loop on the back for just that.

I'm going to assume you have the Sherwood Zodiac. You might want to try loosening the shoulder straps so the BC rides lower. That way you can tighten the cumberbun without suffocating yourself.

Unfortunately most Sherwood BC's are soft back and therefore lack a hard plastic backing to attach a crotch strap to. But there are ways to add a crotch strap even to these type of BC's.

Here's a thread with a few DIY crotch strap ideas. See post #14 and Post #21
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...my-bcd-if-did-not-come-one-2.html#post6258069

Thanks for the ideas - I'll consider crotch strap (honestly, really hate anything in that area, so this may be one solution that just moves the problem elsewhere :) )
The BCD I have is Sherwood Silhouette, bought 5 years ago.

One thing I learned from the other threads is that integrated weights may not help this issue, that's a good knowledge :)

Can anyone recommend in general a traditional BCD with better or more adjustable fit?

For a truly better fit/more adjustable BC you'll want to go with a BC with webbing rather than padded harnesses. Examples would be Zeagle Express Tec or Scubapro Lite hawk. This probably isn't in the "traditional" realm that you mentioned.
If you want to stick with jacket BC's you'll have to try before your buy, if you want a better fitting one. (assuming there is one)

If you don't like crotch straps (assuming you've actually tried one; they're not as bad as you think) you can get a 1in crotchstrap or go with Zeagle's Split Saddle, which puts the straps around your legs like a rock climber's harness.

With a crotch strap you should be able to slip a 1in one in the bottom slot that should be in your BC's hard plastic backplate. If you go with Zeagle's Split Saddle, you'll have to modify your BC and punch holes for the front connection of the straps. Since it's a jacket you may not be able to do this, but you may be able to use the pocket grommet holes as your screw fastener.
I've never seen the Split Saddle, so you should get a first hand opinion before going this route.

haven't really tried crotch strap to be honest. I guess it would be reasonable to try one. Does anyone sell those ready made or are they "do it yourself" item?

A few places sell them but I usually make my own. Go to JoAnn Fabrics, get three feet or so of two inch nylon webbing, and two sliders. Total about six dollars. And forget the one inch. Two inch wide is more comfortable and you don't even know it's there until you need it. Unless you dive naked. It's not like you cinch it down tight enough to strangle.anything important.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Unless you dive naked. It's not like you cinch it down tight enough to strangle.anything important.
:rofl3:

The crotch strap prevents the lower portion of the BCD to shift positions. This way, you'll distribute the loads, instead relying only on the shoulder & sternum strap.
I'd say a quick and easy fix can solve your problem. If you're shopping for new gear, that's another discussion entirely.

I've dived in trunks with only a top rash guard. The straps don't hurt.

Last edited:
Yes. A Zeagle Stiletto model in the correct size for your build. I am a Sherwood dealer of 30 years but they didn't make their reputation on their BC's.
I disagree that weghts in a properly engineered system won't help your problem, They are not thrown on as an afterthought. They should keep the BC down on your back and anchored from sliding side to side, and keep it from floating up over your head the surface.
I never use a crotch strap. Never thought it necessary and rarely sell one to a Ranger or Stiletto owner, and never across the counter at my store.
A slim guy with no gut what so ever to anchor the belly strap under might feel the need for a crotch strap. I prefer a long sleve T shirt to a slippery rash guard.
Don't pull the shoulder straps short until you are horozonal during the dive or you will end up your BC up under your armpits. And don't worry if it doesn't feel proper when standing on the deck of a boat with the tank down your back to your knees. It doesn't matter.They are built to dive not to look good standing on a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom