BCD w/integrated weight vs Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Badge353

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am just curious what everyones opinion is on weighting. As a new diver should I look for a BCD with weight intergration or use a weight belt. Is a combo of weight intergartion and weight belt better? Is it divers prefrence? Just curious as to what others opinion is. I trained with an intergrated BCD but it could get heavy especially climbing back on a boat after multiple dives.

I have used both and prefer a weight intergrated BC. Just like the ease of doing it that way. I have ScubaPro BC's and they have clip in pockets. Never had one fall or come out yet. The nice thing about the weight pockets is you can just unclip them and hand them up just like you would do a weight belt if the BC starts feeling heavy to you.

Like most choices in equipment, it is personal choice but I use a light, weight integrated backinflate BCD. I do not like the feel of weights on by hips. My husband has a transpac bp/w with weight pockets.

If you are doing nothing but tropical diving with very little weight required, it probably doesn't matter very much which you use. If you are diving in colder water, then having all your weight in your BC makes your rig very difficult to move around on land, and also creates the possibility that, if you had to remove your rig (for example, to tighten a tank strap) your rig would go straight down and you would go straight up, making the maneuver very difficult.

I have a personal reason for distributing my weight, as well. I find my neck and shoulders prefer it if as much weight as possible is supported by my hips . . .

switching from a belt to an integrated system was a very good choice for me. took the load off my back making diving a lot more enjoyable for me.

i will be trying a new bag dry suit soon and i hope i can get enough weight in the jacket so i can avoid the belt with it. (fingers crossed)

In tropical waters I have no problem with integrated. In my drysuit though I have to max out my integrated pockets and this causes too much weight up high on my body so I tend to go feet up if I'm not actively correcting it. I have a weight harness on order so that I can spread the weight out a bit and but it where I want to.

If you are doing nothing but tropical diving with very little weight required, it probably doesn't matter very much which you use. If you are diving in colder water, then having all your weight in your BC makes your rig very difficult to move around on land, and also creates the possibility that, if you had to remove your rig (for example, to tighten a tank strap) your rig would go straight down and you would go straight up, making the maneuver very difficult.

I have a personal reason for distributing my weight, as well. I find my neck and shoulders prefer it if as much weight as possible is supported by my hips . . .
I use a weight belt for the same reasons listed above. I have removed my kit underwater and was thankful I was balanced and didn't have to struggle doing so. My first BCD was a Knight Hawk and wearing it on land hurt my shoulders after a few minutes. Switched to a BP/W and can wear much heavier tanks with no pain over a longer period of time. Plus I didn't have to carry extra weight to sink the Knight Hawks buoyant padding.

My weight belt is a Seasoft and it is very soft on my bony hips.

There are advantages to using a weight belt, but if you're someone like me with a pot belly and don't have enough of a waist, you run the risk of dropping your wt belt while diving, which can ruin your day. For me I just can't use a weight belt for that reason.

This is part of the explanation why I moved away from BP/wing-- there was no good way to integrate the weights.

There are advantages to using a weight belt, but if you're someone like me with a pot belly and don't have enough of a waist, you run the risk of dropping your wt belt while diving, which can ruin your day. For me I just can't use a weight belt for that reason.

This is part of the explanation why I moved away from BP/wing-- there was no good way to integrate the weights.

BP/W (mostly) have 2" webbing, same as a typical weight belt so you can thread weights directly onto the waist strap, although if you need to ditch, you can only ditch from one side.

Instead of threading weights onto the strap, a lot of people put trim pockets on their waist strap, and then weight can be ditched from both sides by opening the pocket and pulling the weight out.

Lastly, a lot of companies make integrated ditchable systems for use on the waist belt. for example: BC System Weighting | Halcyon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom