BCD w/integrated weight vs Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/W (mostly) have 2" webbing, same as a typical weight belt so you can thread weights directly onto the waist strap, although if you need to ditch, you can only ditch from one side.

Instead of threading weights onto the strap, a lot of people put trim pockets on their waist strap, and then weight can be ditched from both sides by opening the pocket and pulling the weight out.

Lastly, a lot of companies make integrated ditchable systems for use on the waist belt. for example: BC System Weighting | Halcyon
There are also harnesses made for people without a definitive hip.

Information on DUI Weight & Trim Systems

SEASOFT SEAWOLF? Weight Harness

There are also harnesses made for people without a definitive hip.

Information on DUI Weight & Trim Systems

SEASOFT SEAWOLF? Weight Harness

agreed, those are good systems too, I have used the DUI system, but find the weight pockets a little too big for the amount of extra weight I need to carry.

Personally I prefer an Integrated BCD, I find it far more comfortable.
I only dive in warm waters these days though.

Also agree. Everyone should be aware of their options and choose the system they are most comfortable with.

I use weight belt when I dive at home, cold water. My belt is 12lb. The ballast on my rig is about another 12lb. 12lb on belt is actually quite manageable. In warm water with 3mm suit, I have 4lb on camband, 4lb on belt. My rig is about neutral beside that 4lb on camband.

I've tried BCD weights a few times but didn't like Them. I guess I was taught to dive a weight belt and it stuck. I know how to use it, and reaching down to release the belt has become almost instinctive over the years.

To my mind it doesn't really matter which you choose, as long as you are fluent in the skill of dumping the weights you are using.

I have removed my kit underwater and was thankful I was balanced and didn't have to struggle doing so.

this is a good point. it is something i was thinking about awhile back at pool while trying to adjust trim and buoyancy etc. not to hijack but this is a related issue on the subject.

do a lot of divers here (or any) try to get there bodies neutral, and then their bcd/tank/reg rig separately ?? so whether your gear is on or off you are neutral in the water ??

if so, i assume it would be done using a combo of a weight belt and an integrated system

For cold or warm water diving you have to know how much weight you need and where it needs to go. Putting all your weight near the front and bottom of your BCD, or on a weight belt is seldom the best approach to getting trimmed out horizontal in the water. Most people are initially in foot down trim and will need to move weight up from their waist. Back plates, trim pockets, steel tanks, or tank weights all accomplish this. You only need enough ditchable weight to be positively buoyant at the beginning of the dive. That will generally keep the belt or weight pockets down to 6 to 10 pounds at most which is a lot more manageable than putting all your weight there.

I don't trust integrated systems to release when you intentionally actuate the release mechanism but stay securely in place otherwise. Velcro, snaps, rip cords, etc.--nothing looks to me like it's the perfect solution to the inherent tradeoff between ease of release and preventing inadvertent release. I used integrated weights for some time but eventually switched back to a belt. But I only do tropical diving, where I need 8 or 10 lbs. at most. If I were to dive in a thick wetsuit where I might need 25 lbs., I might have to re-think it.

I like my weight integrated BC. When I first started diving and was using rental gear, I found the weight belts very uncomfortable.

I'd get a weight-integrated. I'm another one of those bowling pin shaped chubby guys who has to wear a weight belt atop his belly or around his ankles, pretty much.

But my thinking is, there's nothing stopping you from using a weight belt while wearing a weight-integrated BCD, but if you buy a non-weight-integrated BCD, you're probably stuck with the weight belt.

With a weight-integrated BCD, you have a choice.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom