BCD w/integrated weight vs Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that is a personal preference.

However IMO training new divers, I believe a wt. integrated B.C. is much easier and more comfortable for my students.

Have you used a freedive type belt? Have you given your students the opportunity to try one?

The reason you see people lose weight belts is because they are using the wrong ones. The reason you see so many people using integrated weights is because their alternative has been the WRONG weight belt.

I can't tell you how many people select a soft weightbelt with lead shot bags that slips and slides around their waist and before the dive is half over, the buckle is located behind them and hidden under the tank. This is a dangerous. They have no access to the buckle to tighten it or to ditch it.

People using normal nylon belts in cold water have a huge problem with suit compression on descent. With integrated weights they don't have to really worry about this.. the BC may get a little sloppy, but it will not fall off them like a weightbelt that has become too loose will. So to these people, the integrated weights have solved the problem.. but the solution is far from optimum in my opinion.

They often compound their problems by using crappy plastic buckles.

The solution to all this nonsense is the use of an elastic rubber belt. They automatically compensate for suit compression (no need to adjust) and the rubber of the belt tends to be tacky, so it does not slide around at all. Basically ALL freedivers know this already, but for some reason, they have not been adopted by the scuba industry. The buckles are also NOt prone to popping open and they do ditch extremely rapidly when opened. In fact, due to the elasticity of the belt and the unique construction and attachment of the buckle, the belt will activelyy "spring" open when the release is triggered. If anybody has to get rid of lead in a hurry, it is a freediver!

As the diving public gets older (and rounder) there is, in many cases, no longer a waist to even hold a nylon belt. There is no wonder people prefer the weights in the BC if the only option they are aware of is a belt that will slide off, spin around, require adjustment during the dive ....or require the thing to be so damn tight on the surface that the buckle is ready to break and they can't breathe properly.

If a diver is using little or no exposure protection, these problems are obviously less acute.

A rubber belt solves many problems and it can be worn in a variety of positions, that will make it more comfortable..for example, it can be worn low on the butt, across the butt or higher across the lower back. What we want to avoid is having a belt very tight across the lower abdomen because this inhibits "belly breathing" which is essential for effective and relaxed respiration. Freedivers know all this..

Why can't scuba divers figure this stuff out?

I personally prefer having a weightbelt because I can use it before scuba diving during freediving with a wetsuit. Integrated weights, kill my back when I change the BC from one tank to another and make the tank itself harder to manage. Use of weight integrated BC in coldwater also presents some complications if you remove the BC/scuba unit to address an entanglement issue... The diver will be buoyant and the scuba unit will be very negative... an unnessary hindrance during a potentially stressful situation. I won't say it is unsafe, but it is NOT desirable.

I have no problems with some weights being integrated, but I much prefer a rubber weightbelt.

Wow -- really nicely summarized and highly logical. Thanks for putting it all together so well in one post. :)

Ease and comfort are two factors to be considered. Other factors should include safety, security and ability to gain proper trim and streamlining.

For ease and comfort alone, you cannot beat simply stuffing weights into the BCD pockets :wink:

Without doubt, weight-integrated are certainly easier for the instructor...

They also command more profitability for scuba retailers... which is, I think, a debatable reason why they are so commonly recommended.
Then you get the other crew who shove 34lbs of weight on a weight belt that first of all gave me bruises on my hips for 3 days after my OW dives and during the 3rd on came off at 40ft the most I might even consider putting on a weight belt is 10lbs thanks to that whole event I also tore a strip off the dive shop for that and after a few other blunders I pretty much told em to go to hell. Right now I run a weight integrated BCD with 2x5lbs in the upper trim pockets, 10lbs on my belt and 10 in each weight pocket and with my knight hawk cinched up I've had my buddies try and reef it off me and its not going anywhere be it in water or out of water. If someone has to dump my weights they have 3 places to take from that will drop 25% of my weight and should be more than enough to get my buoyant.

I am just curious what everyones opinion is on weighting. As a new diver should I look for a BCD with weight intergration or use a weight belt. Is a combo of weight intergartion and weight belt better? Is it divers prefrence? Just curious as to what others opinion is. I trained with an intergrated BCD but it could get heavy especially climbing back on a boat after multiple dives.

I have most of my weight on my belt. I do stash 4 lbs In the back shoulder pockets of my light weight travel bcd because IT is 3 lbs buoyant. I was real pissed when I discovered a change of bcd meant I had to carry more weight.

My dive buddy has a weight integrated bcd and switches back and forth with a belt. On a live aboard she uses weight integrated since she does not have to move gear around. Land based she uses a weight belt because having the weight in her bcd makes it too heavy to move around as she can not lift her tank once the weighted bcd is attached.

Back
Top Bottom