BCs: jacket vs back inflate vs bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out this link for my opinion on the 3 different BCs.

at the moment, i think i'm kinda leaning toward the back inflate style but who knows what i'll think once i've tried enough to know what I want.
I bought all of my equipment before the first pool session. I didn't want to waste my time with rental gear, plus I was going to Australia immediately after the OW class and I knew I would get good use of the gear anyway, so I figured what the hell? Anyway - I got a back inflate style - the Seaquest Black Diamond. It was recommended by my dive shop, and I didn't know any different, so I took their recommendation. It's a very good cold water setup, which is what I needed. Anyway - I have no regrets. I'm very happy with it. However, I did buy a more portable unit for travel - the Seaquest Passport. It's a jacket style I do believe. Frankly, I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two as far as in water performance goes.

FWIW, I'd get a dive computer and reg setup before a BC.

I think the most important thing with any BC is fit. If it doesn't fit you well, you aren't going to be comfortable in it. A jacket which is too tight will compress the torso and make the diver feel claustrophobic at the surface; any BC which is too loose will allow the tank to flop around, making the diver feel unstable.

After fit, I'd say the ability to distribute weight is important. I have seen BCs with no trim pockets or any other way to put any weight up high on the diver's back. Most people, if they put all their weight in integrated waist pockets or on a weight belt, will dive with their feet angled down, which is inefficient propulsion and likely to raise silt or damage bottom structures. You CAN use tank weights, or tie ankle weights around the tank neck, but having trim pockets (as the SeaQuest Balance does) or having your ballast integrated into the rig, as a BP/W system does, is much easier.

Any system you dive needs to have a way to hold your ballast weight securely, and if you are not diving a balanced rig, you need to be able to jettison weight reasonably easily. Unfortunately, the two goals are somewhat incompatible; a system that holds weight very securely may make it difficult to ditch it. On the other hand, a system which makes it too easy to ditch the weight may also make it easy to lose it. I have seen integrated weight pockets of a variety of types lost underwater, and I have a lost a soft weight out of a pocketed weight belt. Losing a significant amount of weight is, at least in my opinion, more dangerous than being unable to ditch weight. Each diver has to evaluate the merits of the ballast system offered by the BC they choose.

Most of us want to take some things underwater with us, and whatever storage one uses needs to be USEFUL. The pockets on a lot of BCs are of dubious use, because they are difficult to access underwater or hold very little. Before you make a decision based on pockets, make sure the pockets you're liking are pockets that really work!

Some things are simply personal opinion. For me, a jacket BC wasn't comfortable, because it completely enveloped me. Back inflate was a much better option (and what I originally bought), but the combination of custom fit and ballast moved up on my back made the BP/W an instant hit, when I had a chance to dive one.

Fit, function and comfort are important, and if you habitually dive with one or a few other people, there is some value to having the same or similar gear, so that you can trade parts and so that, in any urgent situation, you're all familiar with one another's equipment.

Similar answer here. I began in 1976, BEFORE BC's as you would recognize them today were widely used. I first used a plastic backpack, no BC, just a "safety vest" that was for surface use (you can find similar vests used by snorkelers today). I later used an aluminum plate with bent, padded aluminum arms instead of shoulder straps and a waist strap (I think we called it a Hawaiian backpack, cannot remember). It had a stainless steel band on the back of the plate that tightened with a camlock to hold the tank.... I think they were only used in Hawaii, and disappeared in the early 80's?? Not sure, but have not seen them in recent years.... anyway....

LOL. I still have my "Safety Vest". (see the thumb) Actualy I used it like a BC before we had them. It had a CO2 charge and OPV. It could be inflated orally.
Prior to that of course we depended on proper weighting, empty tank and wetsuit to float us. No safety stops to worry about holding of course.

Second BC (actually my first real BC) is also below.

Sorry for the hijack. :)

(I've seen a Hawaii plate on EBAY)

Attachments

• vest 001.JPG
    vest 001.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 22
  • old scuba 001.JPG
    old scuba 001.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom