Beautiful Poseidon BeSea - anyone have this BC???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was very interested in this BC, and when I saw one in a shop I really checked it out as much as you can without actually diving with it. I like the idea of making it like a backpack to support the weight on land. And it seems to have a bunch of neat features, but overall I decided it seems way too complicated. There are about a million little screws which hold everything together. When I asked how do you keep them from coming loose, the response was, "It's no problem, you just check them before the dive." Yeah, right. All 857 of them. No thanks. Add to that the inherent buoyancy and it just doesn't do it for me.

After looking at the website (with the theme from "Jaws", no less!) I really, really wanted to like this BC. But after trying one on in real life, I'm skeptical.

sambolino44:
I was very interested in this BC, and when I saw one in a shop I really checked it out as much as you can without actually diving with it. I like the idea of making it like a backpack to support the weight on land. And it seems to have a bunch of neat features, but overall I decided it seems way too complicated. There are about a million little screws which hold everything together. When I asked how do you keep them from coming loose, the response was, "It's no problem, you just check them before the dive." Yeah, right. All 857 of them. No thanks. Add to that the inherent buoyancy and it just doesn't do it for me.

After looking at the website (with the theme from "Jaws", no less!) I really, really wanted to like this BC. But after trying one on in real life, I'm skeptical.

What inherent buoyancy? Most of BC’s I know are 1-4lbs here you have less than 0.2lbs. (See my post right before yours. It is nearly neutral).
As far as screws go, I can tell you one thing: I know plenty of people who dive this BC and they call it the most reliable and simple system ever. Please do not symply dismiss a that has been system proven in years and years of diving in the most harshest conditions in the world just because you “lost” count of “screws”. They are bolts by the way.
Have fun. Eugene

O.M.O.H.:
Ok here it, this 5.3 lb force…

Using newton's first law
2401bb14244ce7b1e47d55e373bbeebc.png
, where F - lbs force, m - mass (lbs), a = acceleration or g unit
so to calculate lb equivalent:

m = F/a

5.3/g-unit = 5.3/ 32.1740486 foot/square second = 0.1647lbs…

Practically neutrally buoyant. Could someone correct me if I am wrong here, cuz the G-unit in water maybe different...

Eugene
The short answer is that the W50 BC does have 5.3 lbs positive bouyancy (per spec sheet).

By your math the W50 wing's max lift is only 1.57 lb, so something's wrong...

You removed gavity :no which is not practicle nor desirable. You did correctly solve for the mass, but then considered it a weight. You must take that mass and apply gavity to determine weight (a force).

F=ma is the same as W=mg at "sea-level", so W=F at sea-level

Can this (beautiful) thing really be used for technical (cave/wreck/deco) diving?

I'm considering the BeSea W50, but haven't seen where/how do you attach a canister light or deco bottle on this. There's no 2" belt and no rings or holes like on a BP... Can someone post some pics with this BC & a light and or stage bottle. Thanks in advance.

Oceanus:
The short answer is that the W50 BC does have 5.3 lbs positive bouyancy (per spec sheet) By your math the W50 wing's max lift is only 1.57 lb, so something's wrong...
You removed gavity which is not practicle nor desirable. You did correctly solve for the mass, but then considered it a weight. You must take that mass and apply gavity to determine weight (a force). F=ma is the same as W=mg at "sea-level", so W=F at sea-level

No you missed the point. It seems that in the US buyancy is quoted in LBS not LBS-f and the spec sheet shows a positive buoyancy vector (deflated) in Lbs-F or pound force. Which was used to calculate lbs (mass equivalent) of the weight. I did not remove the gravity I calculated mass in lbs using the acceleration speed in ft/sec sq. Your point is taken,nonetheless. But I don’t want this to turn into the liquid dynamics discussion. My main concern about the validity is a modified g unit for buoyancy vector and force needed to brake the water surface tension.

Oceanus:
Can this (beautiful) thing really be used for technical (cave/wreck/deco) diving? I'm considering the BeSea W50, but haven't seen where/how do you attach a canister light or deco bottle on this. There's no 2" belt and no rings or holes like on a BP... Can someone post some pics with this BC & a light and or stage bottle. Thanks in advance.
There is a SS backplate you can use with the existing advanced harness and wing which answers your need. Also there are wings available in 40, 50, and 100 lbs of lift. I am about 99% certain about this one.Also there is a tonn of grommets throuhgout the harness (waist and shoulder) that are used to bolt on the rings, attachments, etc.

O.M.O.H.:
... Please do not symply dismiss a that has been system proven in years and years of diving in the most harshest conditions in the world just because you “lost” count of “screws”. They are bolts by the way.
Have fun. Eugene

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. All I was trying to say was that I was enthusiastic about this BC when I saw the ads, but after I saw one in person I didn't like it so much.

I'm a little surprised to hear that it's been proven in years and years of diving, because I thought it was a new product.

Screws, bolts, whatever. I think they're called sex bolts. Anyway, I like the idea of modular construction, but there are just too many of these fasteners for me. I don't like the idea of D-rings being held on by fasteners.

I have to say I'm somewhat surprised by the tone of your response, Eugene. It sounds like you have a real interest in seeing this product succeed. I'm sure it will be a great BC for a lot of people. But it's expensive, and Poseidon is not offered in as many local shops as other brands, so I'm sure many people may want to buy one online without ever seeing one. I just thought my experience might be helpful.

As for the buoyancy debate, I don't know enough about this terminology to tell which of you guys is for real, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how acceleration and surface tension have anything to do with it.

I was going to ask, "Has anybody thought to ask Poseidon what lbs-f means?" But instead, I just sent them an e-mail with that question.

I was very enthusiastic about the BeSea when it was first announced. It looks sharp and has some nice concepts built in. I had the opportunity to try one on at the 2006 Long Beach, CA SCUBA Show. I was very disappointed. The fit was terrible on me and the shoulders straps felt stiff and uncomforable.

Glad some people like them, but they are not for me.

sambolino44:
...I have to say I'm somewhat surprised by the tone of your response, Eugene.
Sorry man if i came accross a bit rough. Did not mean that. But its all in writing now and please accept my appologies.

rakkis:
I was very enthusiastic about the BeSea when it was first announced. It looks sharp and has some nice concepts built in. I had the opportunity to try one on at the 2006 Long Beach, CA SCUBA Show. I was very disappointed. The fit was terrible on me and the shoulders straps felt stiff and uncomforable.

Glad some people like them, but they are not for me.
One thing about the Besea is that it must be propery adjusted for each person. Takes about 30 menutes or so to get fitted to your body type. Cheers.

O.M.O.H.:
Sorry man if i came accross a bit rough. Did not mean that. But its all in writing now and please accept my appologies.
Apology accepted. And I agree with what you said about the thing needing to be adjusted to the wearer. But I knew that already because I read all about it before going to the store. I have also heard that some users had problems with the straps being too stiff. I have to wonder if that didn't have something to do with them not being adjusted correctly, since I did not have that problem.

Do you own one of these BeSeas yourself? Or have you used one in the water?

I have to admit, all this discussion is making me think again about getting one of these. It has a lot going for it. And, you know, there is such a thing as Loc-Tite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom