Belize City to San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BK64

Registered
Reaction score
What is the best way to go from Belize City to San Pedro? Is there a need to pre book something before we arrive? Thanks for the help.

A few things regardless of what you select. By "Belize City," do you mean the city itself, Belize City Municipal Airport or Belize City International Airport? Yes, there are two separate airports in Belize City. Does "best" mean cheapest or easiest? You can take the ferry from the shore but will need to pay to get to the shore from the airport. If you are actually in the city itself, that may be a great way to go and it's pretty cheap. If you are flying into Belize City from outside the country, I would suggest Tropic Air (The Airline of Belize - Tropic Air). Maya Island Air (Maya Island Air Airline In Belize) is another carrier but I have not used them. I do suggest making the reservation beforehand because the planes can fill up. You may not get to depart at the time you wish. It depends on how flexible you are. I have only used Tropic Air and made the reservations directly on their web site. It's very straightforward.

Last edited:
If there is just the one of you then without question fly to San Pedro directly from the International Airport (assuming that's where you're starting from). If there are four of you you can save money, but not time, but taking a taxi to the Municipal Airstrip and flying from there. fares are about half, but the taxi ride is expensive. If you're arriving from overseas I don't recommend taxiing to the shore and taking a water ferry. You'll save money but it'll cost an enormous amount of time and add personal stress.

If flying, always book in advance. That way the airline (Tropic at any rate) will move heaven and earth to get you to San Pedro that day, even if your incoming flight is delayed. But not if they don't know you're coming.

We booked in advance, hung out of the airport, and flew down a couple of hours later. (Had lunch at the airport which some odd reason was a great hot dog chased down with a beer).

Just remember when you book the fare, be specific about whether you are choosing Belize City International or Belize City Municipal. The airport code for Belize City International is BZE. If you book online with TropicAir or Maya Air, be sure to pick the right code on the web form. One of the couples I dove with last time picked the wrong code and ended up taking a taxi from the international airport to the municipal airport to catch their plane. Also, what Peter said about TropicAir is true. They do what it takes to make sure you (and your luggage) get there. In fact, when I flew out of San Pedro, they sent my luggage out on an earlier flight. I was stunned when I got to Belize City International and saw my luggage waiting for me as soon as I got off the plane. Tropic Air is amazing.

Thanks for the replies everyone we will pre book with Tropic.

There is another airline with the same planes as Tropic. Maya Island Air, just in case Tropic is fully booked.

We didn't book in advance, found Tropic to be much more expensive than Maya. Maya offered a cheaper rate if we paid cash, we paid them cash and were on a plane an hour later. We booked our return trip with Maya at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom