Belize-San Pedro Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaz:
i am told it is because the mosquito that carrys malaria is a freshwater mosquito and while we have lots of mangroves they are all salt water hense we only have the type of mosquite that breeds in thsat type of enviroment either way they all bite. :)
With out going into detail, I do not claim to be an expert, I simply conveyed the fact that the carriers do not breed solely in fresh water and that there are fresh water areas that can allow breeding. While I cannot explain why you may not have heard about a case, if you walk to the University of the Americas and inquire you might find differently. In fact visitors may be bitten with in the last day and travel else where, the period in which the visible symptoms will show up differs among people the average is 26 hours. Some may show little signs or even be mis diagnosed as having a fever, the shakes, or some form of flu. One other small fact, only the female bites.
The link provided is an FYI for all to research for themselves and come to their own decision. As Don as mentioned the CDC recommends protection.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity

Again the best course of action is arm yourself with the best defence because they will be on the offence for your blood :)

scubahiro:
Looking for information on diving off of San Pedro in August. Descriptions of the marine life, visibility, water temp, dive ops, etc. would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Scubahiro
I tried to include a picture but it was to big.
I was recently certified at Amigos Del-Mar dive shop and I'm new but I can tell you what it was like for me GREAT!! We staid at the Myan Princess Hotel in San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye and all we could have thrown things at the instructors at the dive shop (Amigos Del Mar) from our room....the water was wonderfuly warm and visibility was excellent we saw tons of marine life, nurse sharks, sting rays, eagle rays, parrott fish and lobster...just to name a few. I highly recomend diving there and even more highly recomend Amigos Del Mar...ask for Crazee...Tell him the couple from Iraq sent you....have a great dive

This is/was a very informative thread. I'm looking at possibly doing a trip to Ambergris Caye Belize (San Padro) this summer, and was curious about the particular dive experience there. Is this drift diving? If so, how are the currents, etc? Are there any other conditions that would be handy to know about?

Thanks!

Maredsous:
This is/was a very informative thread. I'm looking at possibly doing a trip to Ambergris Caye Belize (San Padro) this summer, and was curious about the particular dive experience there. Is this drift diving? If so, how are the currents, etc? Are there any other conditions that would be handy to know about?

Thanks!
I don't remember any drift diving, at least not like you see in Cozumel. The boat may use a live drop and pickup - not anchoring, following divers bubbles, but I just don't remember any real currents.

I'm not very experienced so what I say probably doesn't count, but I recently did some dives in San Pedro and on several the boat picked us up away from the buoy we'd gone down by. But there wasn't much current so I don't know if they can be called drift dives.

In San Pedro we often talk of "drift dives", but in reality there is negligble current and they're really just dives where the boat follows you and picks you up when you surface. Though strangely at Cozumel, further up the same reef, there is often a honking current, the sort where you tuck your arms and legs in and watch the world rush by. There can occasionally be stronger currents at the outer atolls, but even there I doubt I've ever seen more than 1 knot.

Maredsous:

Thanks!

Maredsous,

My wife and I spent 10 days on Ambergris this last March. We'll likely return this fall and again in spring 2006. We made 15 local dives with Protech, and made the "Blue Water" trips to Turneffe and Lighthouse on Amigo's Pro48. Both operations are exceptional. Amigo's larger boat was a nice addition for the longer trips.

With Protech, boats were never crowded. There were always 6 or less divers. Some days it was only my wife and I diving. Divemasters Brian and Gilbert were wonderful. Both were very attentive, but allowed a little leeway as far as the actual dives were concerned. I finished up my Nitrox dives while there and then dove with it all week. Overall, I can't reccomend the operation or the divemasters enough.

The local diving was generally in the 60-90 foot range with very little current. Visability was great. On the outer atolls, dives were a bit deeper and the viz even better. Here's a link to my gallery and some pics:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/36473

I've found the best way to communicate with Peter and Protech is though his email address as I believe their website is currently down. Roni is no longer part of the Protech operation. Here's Peter's/Protech's address.
peterbj7@yahoo.com

Gaz's link to the Ambergis website:
http://www.ambergriscaye.com/ is a good one. Let me no if you've got any other questions. Ken :42:

yakivet:
Maredsous,

My wife and I spent 10 days on Ambergris this last March. We'll likely return this fall and again in spring 2006. We made 15 local dives with Protech, and made the "Blue Water" trips to Turneffe and Lighthouse on Amigo's Pro48. Both operations are exceptional. Amigo's larger boat was a nice addition for the longer trips.

With Protech, boats were never crowded. There were always 6 or less divers. Some days it was only my wife and I diving. Divemasters Brian and Gilbert were wonderful. Both were very attentive, but allowed a little leeway as far as the actual dives were concerned. I finished up my Nitrox dives while there and then dove with it all week. Overall, I can't reccomend the operation or the divemasters enough.

The local diving was generally in the 60-90 foot range with very little current. Visability was great. On the outer atolls, dives were a bit deeper and the viz even better. Here's a link to my gallery and some pics:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/36473

I've found the best way to communicate with Peter and Protech is though his email address as I believe their website is currently down. Roni is no longer part of the Protech operation. Here's Peter's/Protech's address.
peterbj7@yahoo.com

Gaz's link to the Ambergis website:
http://www.ambergriscaye.com/ is a good one. Let me no if you've got any other questions. Ken :42:

Awesome!!!

Great info, and thanks to everyone for their input.

Maredsous :yelclap:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom