Bent! o_O

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That doesn't sound to me as a DCS at all... Sounds much more like a viral infection. Redness and swelling in the ears could be explained by the viral infection also. Anyway, better safe than sorry. Hope you are ok!

I am curious as to whether other dives were done or the dives in the course were outside of the standards.

Yes. We did a final celebration dive to 20m/65ft for 20 minutes. It's worth bearing in mind that we had exerted ourselves a great deal over the weekend and we were very cold.

That doesn't sound to me as a DCS at all..

Short SIs, high exertion, multiple dives, cold water...

...after only a few minutes at 60ft, my shoulders are feeling good and the headache is gone

Sounds like DCS to me

That doesn't sound to me as a DCS at all... Sounds much more like a viral infection. Redness and swelling in the ears could be explained by the viral infection also. Anyway, better safe than sorry. Hope you are ok!
Considering the guys at the chamber says its DCS and the recompression precedures seem to work.. It sounds to me like it is..

I really don't see fever as a symptom of DSC, and the feeling of the eyes burning doesn't check much with DCS also. Physical stress and getting in contact with a lot of people is the way to get a viral infection. But anyway, it's hard to tell something over the internet. Being conservative as the guys in the chamber were is the right way to go. In the end all that matters is the health of the patient, and if he's ok now, the chamber ride was worth it...

Could be viral infection on top of DCS, who knows. Treatment worked, so... I'd rather be rid of DCS and fight the infection than vice versa

Being at 60ft and breathing oxygen will make many things "feel better", not just DCI. That's the principle behind Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for sports injuries.

Put bluntly, present yourself at a recompression chamber, having been diving, and with unexplained symptoms and it would be a very brave doctor indeed who turned you away saying you weren't bent and didn't need recompression. Add in that some chambers in the UK are private businesses and charge the patient's PCT for initial and follow-up treatments and you have a situation where it is more likely you will be recompressed than not.

I'm not saying you weren't bent and I'm not saying the chamber is profiteering; I'm simply pointing out that there are 'pressures' (no pun intended) that mean being recompressed is no guide to the fact of whether or not you were bent.

You may have the flu or some other mild viral illness but you do not have dcs. Breathing O2 will make anyone feel great. Given the circumstance, any doctor in todays climate would likely pop you in a chamber to cover his/her rear.

Hope you are feeling well and make a full recovery soon. The flu can really be draining.

N

Thanks for sharing. IMO dives 2 and 3 on Day 2 put you over the edge, not so much number wise but with the excertion and as Tortuga68 pointed out short SIs, also you mentioned alot of up and down which probably isn't in the profiles. Then there's the dehydration question from the excertion. Did you have a PDC? Did it spank you? I'm guessing if you had one, it didn't.

Back
Top Bottom