Best agency for solo cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscubaduck1

Contributor
Reaction score
Land of the midnight sun Anchorage,Alaska
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello everybody,
I've been solo diving (400+) for 5 years.
I ran into a problem after a rescue of an instructor from out of state. I posed this question to one of my friends (a boat captain I go out with). With the proper equipment will you let me dive solo off your boat?
The answer was not without a solo cert. (insurance reasons)
I can understand that. I want the card so as not be paired up a diver that's not qualified or pads their qualifications.
What agencies would you recommend any why?
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated:popcorn:

My bad- Guess I should have added a subnote- Agences that anyone has ever heard of. :D j/k

edit- and thats a 2003 training schedule, guess updating the ole website isn't high on the priority list.

Yeah, IDA is pretty small. I mentioned them because I happen to know one of their few instructors (although he doesn't teach solo - yet).

But now I've just found another. According to this page:
Scuba Diving School: PDIC International
PDIC is about to roll out their Solo course (look under News & Events).

I ran into a similar situation on a boat trip yesterday- a local boat I had dived from before but never solo. I almost fell over when at the end of the first dive briefing where they ask "does everyone have a buddy" because "we don't allow solo diving on the ***". But then they added (to me) "but you're OK because you have a tech certification". So my suggestion is if you're going to invest in a class you might consider some level of tech certification (if you haven't already) rather than wasting time in a class you're already way over-qualified for.

I ran into a similar situation on a boat trip yesterday- a local boat I had dived from before but never solo. I almost fell over when at the end of the first dive briefing where they ask "does everyone have a buddy" because "we don't allow solo diving on the ***". But then they added (to me) "but you're OK because you have a tech certification". So my suggestion is if you're going to invest in a class you might consider some level of tech certification (if you haven't already) rather than wasting time in a class you're already way over-qualified for.

Thanks for the info guys.:D
I work for a PADI shop. They don't teach tech diving.
The shop I dove with teaches GUE/DIR. While they have some very good ideas I don't agree with every thing they teach.
I've been diving since 1989. Raised 5 boats (biggest 40 feet).
IMO I am over-qualified for this cert, but all be damm if i'm going to get stuck with another idiot that some one says I have to dive with:banghead:.
Thank You all for your opinions, It helps.
Dive Safe, Dive Often, Dive Prince William Sound, AK.

I got my solo cert through SDI. Only agency around here that offers it.

DW

local shop here in Columbia, SC is offering the SDI course for $100 but requires you to have your own redundant air system. Gosh i want to do this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom