Best agency for solo cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will some of these places who require a solo card accept an Divemaster/Divecon card instead? It doesn't make sense to say you can be responsible for others underwater, but not yourself.

Will some of these places who require a solo card accept an Divemaster/Divecon card instead? It doesn't make sense to say you can be responsible for others underwater, but not yourself.

The places that require a solo cert to solo dive generally won't accept a DM card or even and instructor card since none of the training required to get those certifications covers solo diving issues (real gas planning, equipment redundancy, etc). Any good tech class will cover the same ground, but it won't satisfy liability issues for boats or quarries.

For those who have taken the SDI solo course, what exactly does it cover? Is it all classroom, or are there checkout dives associated? It looks like I will decide to do the course, as it could make things easier with management at the lake where I do most of my solo diving. Less hassle all around if I have the card. I am curious as to how exactly the instructor would do the checkout dives...do you have them gear up, dive, and pretend you aren't there watching? Do you just send them out, and if they don't die and come back they are good to go? Do you screw with their gear to see if they can self-rescue? Some of this is tongue in cheek, but I'd like to know what to expect before I go through the effort and expense of another course. Thanks.

The agency means squat. Pick a good instructor, one who will test you and put you through your paces.

Dale

local shop here in Columbia, SC is offering the SDI course for $100 but requires you to have your own redundant air system. Gosh i want to do this!

Would that be Wateree?

Well after ordering and reading the SDI solo manual, ***!
It wasn't any thing I hadn't practiced. I think it's another way to extract a few more dollars out of me.
Thank You For all your input, But after all this solo dive cert is just another card for a card collecter.
Good training,A good head on your shoulders is much more important then a solo card.
To Nimrod Great posts
Terry
Dive safe, Dive often, Dive Prince William Sound, Alaska.

Back
Top Bottom