Best Back inflate BC for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VaScubaGirl

Reaction score
Hey ladies! I have a jacket style BC which was inexpensive (bought it off a friend) and does the job. But, there are a lot of things about it I don't like. It only has a velcro cumberbund across the front, no tank loop, it's not weight integrated, and it doesnt' have enough D rings for all of my clips. Plus it's jacket style and I really like back inflate better. But, like I said, it was inexpensive and does the job. However, I am wanting to buy a new BC before the spring dive season comes. So does anyone have a recommendation for a BC with these options (plus two tank straps...I like redundency!) that doesn't crush a woman's chest? A lot of the BC's I try on squish me. The one I have is ok because my friend is 6'4 so it is a long BC and the comberbund hits around my waist. But a lot of BC's I try on have straps of cumberbunds that well...squish! To get one that doesn't, I find myself trying on mediums instead of smalls so then it is too loose around the shoulders. Any suggestions? Ones you like or don't like? Let me know!

I like my Zeagle Scout but will probably get a back plate whith wings next year.

The BP harness will not squeeze you and is fully adjustable. You can put D rings on as needed.

I am adding D rings to the shoulder area of my scout and it is a pain. I may just sell it stock and go straight to BP/wings.:D

There are couple of back inflate BC's made just for women. ScubaPro Ladyhawk stands out the most. It's exactly like the knighthawk except that it's 4 inches shorter to fit most women perfectly around the hip and chest area.

The BC is very stable at surface and at depth. It is very comfortable, even when totally inflated. The 34 pound lift bladder is bunggied, thus it being streamlined and, when deflating, it returns to its original size. You can do cold water and warm water dive with this BC.

It has two rugged metal D-rings in both shoulder area and two nylon D-rings at the side bottom of BC to accomidate for all the gears that need to be clipped on to.

Because of the soft neoprene neck wrap, you can comfortably dive in your swim suit in warm water without the worries of getting rash and red marking around your neck. The exessive back padding will support your body and back, even with heavy steel tank.

The cummerbund is depth compensating, meaning, even when your neoprene gets compressed at depth and gets thinner, it will still give you the snug fit as you achieved it on surface.

The shoulder strap is designed much like the Northface backpack where it forms around your body, not having to form your body around the BC.

This is a great BC for everyone.

I would recommend getting the Zeagle scout if you're doing a lot of warm water dives. But if you're doing a lot of cold water diving, it is very unstable with massive amounts of weights which are held in the back, thus giving you back pain after dives.

Oh yea, did i mention this BC is weight integrated?

I hope this message has helped you in considering a BC. I don't work for ScubaPro...so i guess t his isn't a spam message ::wink wink::

I have a Zeagle Concept Sport which they don't make anymore but it's very similar to the Escape. This is not a "women's bc" per se but it is very adjustable and I can't see how you wouldn't be able to get it to fit you. My suggestion is to not limit yourself to just a "women's bc" as there are others available that could fit you very nicely.

Features:
back inflate,
weight integrated - although you don't have to use it,
highly adjustable - can get smaller shoulder straps if necessary
D-rings
velcro cumberbund and waist clip,
adjustable chest clip - does not impede drysuit valve
2 tank straps

I don't know how much lift you were looking for. Mine has about 35lbs and the Escape is about the same. The Ranger and Concept Pro both have more lift with the Ranger having more D-rings too.

Take a look at:
zeagle

Diverlady

BTW, I've used mine for plenty of cold water dives and not had any "instability" issues as suggested above. My weight is not on my back. Nor have I had any back pain from using it. My bc came with a great backpad which I've actually removed as it's not necessary.

I can highly recommend a backplate and wing, no matter what experience you have. It's totally a custom fit and you can add what you want to it in the way of pockets, integrated weights, D-rings, etc.

Your choice of wing can greatly improve your diving, too. There are wings that are longer, with gussets, that can help correct sinking legs or the shorter ones can help keep your upper body trimmed out perfectly.

I use a Zeagle Concept for years and swore nothing would ever get me out of it. I kept reading about BP/wings here on the board and couldn't see the big deal. One of the local divers had an extra one so we adjusted it to fit me and I was converted immediately! There are a few things I did to make the harness fit my 'womanly charms' better than the straight harness the guys like and I couldn't care less about DIR. I just know that it's the most comfortable BC I've ever used and that my diving profile has improved immensely.

If you have and questions or want to see pictures, let me know.

I love my backplate and wing and would never trade it for anything else in the world (well maybe gills). There is nothing in the chest area, so you are not restricted at all. Mine has 3 d-rings, 1 on each shoulder and one of the left hip. How many d-rings were you wanting? And what all are you clipping off to yourself?

I have a custom short heavy backplate and a Halcyon wing. I love it. It is custom fit to me. NO crap hanging off me and nothing restricting my breathing across my stomach or chest. My chest area is clean and open. My lights are attached to the webbing so they are handy when needed and out of the way when not in use. I too have a D ring on each shoulder and one on my left hip but I also have a ring in the back where I keep my sausage and spool that way they say out of the way. I have a custom zipper pocket that threads on my webbing on my right hip for any necessities and to hold my hose down. My tool is threaded on my webbing on the right too so I have it and it too is out of the way but easily accessible.

I love the simplicity, the clean uncluttered setup and I DON'T HAVE TO WEAR A CRAPPY WEIGHTBELT AROUND MY WAIST OR DEAL WITH WEIGHT POCKETS IN MY BC. No ditchable weight to worry about. Neutral in the water and I can swim it up.

Luv my BP and Wing. R

Thanks for the great info! I have seen the BP/Wings but had heard that they were difficult to use. That sometimes they don't inflate evenly and you roll underwater. Is this an issue? Also, all the ones I have seen use a crotch strap which looks kind of uncomfortable.

What I clip to my BC...everything! I hate not being able to access something but I also don't like it in the way. So I have my Octopus clipped to it along with a pair of sheers, a slate, a sausage, a whistle, a small goody bag, and a light. Eventually I would like to get into pentration dives which means more stuff (like a wreck reel) and I don't know where I am going to put that.

Have a look at the new Rear inflation Zeagle Zena.

I just bought one for my wife, she loves it more than she loves me :( . She says its the most comfy BCD she has ever worn, she has been diving for 13 years, she also has a BP and wing but prefers the Zena for single tank diving.

Back
Top Bottom