Best BCD, and Regulator for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new Bruts breathe as good as any reg on the market if the dealer sets it up properly. The average recreational diver would likely not be able to tell the difference between it and a reg costing 3 times as much.
Right. But brings up a good point - what version of the Brut is it that the OP experienced? Current balanced 2nd stage version was released in 2016 if I recall correctly. Visually almost indistinguishable from prior unbalanced version.

What do you personally suggest that would be better than the Brut?
I am more about talking through choices and understanding individual needs rather than a single "go to" personal recommendations. (good/better/best) My primary brands at the shop are Aqualung and Sherwood, so that is what I discuss. There is nothing in either line that I would steer someone away from. If price is primary consideration, then it is Aqualung Calypso or Sherwood Brut. "Better" AL choices would be Titan to get a balanced diaphragm 1st stage, and Core to also get a balanced 2nd stage. Core Supreme adds environmental seal on the 1st and cold water (below 50F) capability.
In Sherwood I would consider a step up to be the Oasis Pro which adds a Venturi switch and a moisture retention vane to reduce dry mouth. Maximus adds one touch adjustment and under arm hose routing. One caution on Sherwood is that the purges have always tended to be a bit stiff. No issue for me, but not good for a small 10 year old learning to dive.

I don't really have a set budget. And I live in the Atlanta area so a lot of the shops around me sell ScubaPro, Mares, Sherwood, Cressi, Etc.

Around the ATL area if you are on the north side like me there are a few good shops. Ill put a plug in for my LDS. Really nice people and very knowledgable. You can talk to Marshal and I am sure he will set you up with a good outfit.

20,000 Leagues Scuba and Aquatics - Explore the Underwater World

There is also Divers supply that I have bought from in Marietta. You can sometimes find better deals in the brick and mortar than on their website.

Divers Supply Atlanta

In Roswell you have SeaVentures but I did not like that shop. I inquired about a training class. I got 6 follow up calls. Another time I inquired if they could match an online price for some equipment. They couldn't but I said if you can get close I'd rather support a local shop. They were still kinda far off then add tax, they then started the high pressure sell trying scare tactics like if you don't buy from an authorized retailer then your warranty will be void etc. I don't respond to pressure sells or scare tactics so I have not been back.

Around the ATL area if you are on the north side like me there are a few good shops. Ill put a plug in for my LDS. Really nice people and very knowledgable. You can talk to Marshal and I am sure he will set you up with a good outfit.

20,000 Leagues Scuba and Aquatics - Explore the Underwater World

There is also Divers supply that I have bought from in Marietta. You can sometimes find better deals in the brick and mortar than on their website.

Divers Supply Atlanta

In Roswell you have SeaVentures but I did not like that shop. I inquired about a training class. I got 6 follow up calls. Another time I inquired if they could match an online price for some equipment. They couldn't but I said if you can get close I'd rather support a local shop. They were still kinda far off then add tax, they then started the high pressure sell trying scare tactics like if you don't buy from an authorized retailer then your warranty will be void etc. I don't respond to pressure sells or scare tactics so I have not been back.
I actually plan on going to visit divers supply tomorrow. From looking on their website it looks like they have a good selection.

I actually plan on going to visit divers supply tomorrow. From looking on their website it looks like they have a good selection.
I cant really give any advice on womens BCD's though I did buy my daughter a DiveRite Travelpac which seems to work well for her. As for regulators I have, and like the Deep Six signature regulators. You can order directly from their website. I am sure @cerich or @LandonL can answer any questions you have. They are located in Forsyth Georgia so for reg service shipping and return turnaround should be pretty fast. You could actually drive them down there depending on where you are. The reg service is recommended at 2 years on their regs and their price include the first reg service, as well as space service kits to bring along on any dive vacation in case a reg needs to be services while traveling

@aviator8

Yes, our HQ is close to the OP and I do hope they consider us as one of their options. It really is hard to beat what we offer for a regulator package when you factor in all the benefits and improvements, like the free first service including labor and parts. That alone saves most divers $150-200 at the first service interval. However I am sure whatever the OP picks they will be happy.

For some non-specific general advice, there are several specialty options out there for mouthpieces that will work with any second stage. SeaCure custom mouthpieces get great reviews, and you can find other options from Innovative Scuba, Titan, etc. Each includes various sizes if you need something a little bit smaller/larger. You just have to try a few options to find what you like best, as they are a very personal item and opinions vary.

As always, for a BCD option I recommend a BP/W. That is what I teach in, and what I find to be the best option for almost anyone. You get maximum adjustability, ease of fit customization, improved stability with the tank, and your trim will be better with an air cell behind you instead of wrapped around you. They also tend to pack up smaller for travel, and some versions can be very light weight. You do need someone to properly adjust it and show you a few things though, so consider that as well.

I am sure you will have lots of shops tell you it is only for technical divers, Jacket BCDs are better, etc. I have come to the conclusion that shops like to sell jacket style BCDs because their margin is higher, they have no experience with BP/Ws, and it takes no effort to size and fit a BCD for someone. They make more money with a faster solution that requires less work on their part, even if it isn't the optimal solution. So of course they recommend it more.

Overall, look around, see what you like, and then go with what you will feel most comfortable with. There are many great options out there to choose from that are safe and reliable. At the end of the day this a hobby for most people, and what is most important is that you enjoy yourself.

All the best,
Landon

Is it a common assumption that a women's mouth is smaller than a man's, or is that fact? I've never heard that before.

Is it a common assumption that a women's mouth is smaller than a man's, or is that fact? I've never heard that before.

Generally a fact, with regard to bone/teeth/jaw size.

In other regards, is arguable.

I am biased, but I truly love my AquaLung Lotus for a bunch of reasons.
  1. I'm tall and I'm all legs, this BCD is women specific and it puts the weight pockets around my waist rather than down by my hips. Makes it very comfortable.
  2. It's a back inflate BCD.
  3. I absolutely love the i3 system!
Lotus i3

I have to agree with BikerBecca - I love my Aqualung Lotus! Although I don’t have the i3 system, I absolutely love the weight pocket placement. It makes a world of difference. A+++ would recommend!

If I were in the market for a new one however, I would also take a second look at the Aqualung Rogue, personally

I have to agree with BikerBecca - I love my Aqualung Lotus! Although I don’t have the i3 system, I absolutely love the weight pocket placement. It makes a world of difference. A+++ would recommend!

If I were in the market for a new one however, I would also take a second look at the Aqualung Rogue, personally
And to be clear, the Lotus has been discontinued for at least 2-3 years, maybe longer. Current Aqualung women's models are Pearl and Soul. So if you go searching for a Lotus it will either be a lucky find close-out item from someone that still has one, or you will be shopping for used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom