Best Booster for Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even masterline thinks it’s a waste, but give the customer what they want.

I fill a 2l CCR bottle to 3800 just fine

I try to stay above 300psi inlet pressure to keep it efficient, but for single small bottles I sometimes have to drop it lower. That's when a vfd would be nice to not lose efficiency

Those that believe that throttling these things back via a regulator to create less heat in the bottle clearly do not understand that they are creating more heat in the heads of the booster itself which negates the purpose of slowing it down in the first place. Using a regulator to slow it down is driven by nothing short of ignorance and yes, I would tell that to the people that run Masterline who continue to suggest it instead of utilizing appropriate techniques without increasing risk.

I run it wide open. I don’t have a regulator. The scuba industry is the only industry that throttles the Masterline boosters and believes in the 1cu/min fill rate and max 3200psi

I run it wide open. I don’t have a regulator. The scuba industry is the only industry that throttles the Masterline boosters and believes in the 1cu/min fill rate and max 3200psi

at least you're using them properly! I'd still opt for a VFD, but there are a couple reasons for that.
First is it lets you use an infinitely more efficient motor. 3p motors are usually around 90% efficient while 1p motors are around 65% so you use considerably less power. This adds up if you're a dive shop, but not really for home use.
Second and this is the more important one is that it lets you reduce power consumption if there is high demand on the circuit. They pull something like 12-15a on a 110v circuit which is close to the limit so if you need power for anything else it is nice to be able to throttle it back. I do that with my Rix regularly.

at least you're using them properly! I'd still opt for a VFD, but there are a couple reasons for that.
First is it lets you use an infinitely more efficient motor. 3p motors are usually around 90% efficient while 1p motors are around 65% so you use considerably less power. This adds up if you're a dive shop, but not really for home use.
Second and this is the more important one is that it lets you reduce power consumption if there is high demand on the circuit. They pull something like 12-15a on a 110v circuit which is close to the limit so if you need power for anything else it is nice to be able to throttle it back. I do that with my Rix regularly.

I don’t think it even pulls 8amps. I’ll look next time I’m there. Mine is at my airplane hangar in 100amp 220v. Power isn’t an issue.

I don’t think it even pulls 8amps. I’ll look next time I’m there. Mine is at my airplane hangar in 100amp 220v. Power isn’t an issue.

amp draw is a function of outlet pressure, so they'll pull continuously more as the outlet pressure rises as an fyi, but yeah if you're not worried for power there is no reason to throttle them back.

I actually had never heard of a VFD until a few years ago when you posted them here. I think the masterline guys have a different view of things mainly because they're main industry has always been mining.
As for VFDs, is there an easy, plug and play solution for them? I've looked at them online a little bit but they're way over my electrical knowledge. It looks like most of them need some level of adjustment or programming. I'd run one if I could just plug my booster into it, and basically just turn the dial to adjust fill speed

The attached photo is the "simply start" menu of a drive I'm currently hooked up to -really not a lot of stuff that needs to be set up. Nominal data from the motor, desired max and minimum speed - how you want the buttons to work, and acceleration/deceleration speed:)

Yes, you get US values if you change "motor standard" to 60Hz NEMA

Attachments

• 1606012606009196805627002063982.jpg
    1606012606009196805627002063982.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 80
I have a HI booster for last 6 months and have no complaints.

look into other options for drive gas though than scuba grade air, costs will add up quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom