Best bottom timer/computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with PfcAJ.

Bungee mounts are nice, but certainly not necessary. Some computers come with wrist straps so short that they're a huge PITA to get on, but for the most part one is as good as another.

Is there any other way? :D

As was mentioned, if the d-ring is laying flat, it's harder to unclip. Fortunately, you have a built-in method to make it stick out: pull out on the SPG.

Un-clipping is not the issue, it's re-clipping!

The thing about the bungee and galileo is that it fits just around my wrist/forearm enough that the excess strap isn't long enough to tuck back in, so it kinda flaps around. I guess I can put some sort of bungie or something to tuck it into on it. When diving wet, the thing slips around too much as it slides from my larger forearm to smaller wrist portion.

Clipping onto the left-hip D-ring can be easily done with practice. Once your d-ring is set into the position where it is going to stay, just practice it a few times. The muscle memory will start to kick in pretty quickly.

I find that most of the time I don't even need to unclip my spg. If the vis is decent I merely duck my head and can clearly read the gauge as it remains clipped off to my hip D-ring.

Un-clipping is not the issue, it's re-clipping!

Same advice: pull on your SPG before unclipping to make the d-ring stick out. Unless you bump it, it will stay out for the 5 seconds it takes to read the gauge.

Further, I recommend keeping the gate open the whole time.

Reach back,
Pull,
Unclip,
Remove,
Read,
Replace,
Slight tug to make sure you've engaged the d-ring,
Clip.

I personally find gate back to be the smoother, more natural orientation.

The thing about the bungee and galileo is that it fits just around my wrist/forearm enough that the excess strap isn't long enough to tuck back in, so it kinda flaps around.

Scissors.jpg

I find that most of the time I don't even need to unclip my spg. If the vis is decent I merely duck my head and can clearly read the gauge as it remains clipped off to my hip D-ring.

It pays to be proficient at unclipping and clipping your gauge, particularly when there are bottles attached the the same d-ring. Learning to recognize that you've successfully engaged the d-ring by feel is important so that you don't mistakenly clip into stage rigging. Clips are 'stacked' in a specific order, and if you never bother unclipping since you can read it clipped off without bottles (I can too, but still unclip and often flash it with my light to excite the glow-in-the-dark even if it's bright enough to read) you may be fighting an uphill battle when you start adding bottles.

[proverbial "you"]

LOL in respect the scissor pic. I'm trying not to permanently damage the computer in the event that I want to sell it!

I will admit that I do this as well out of shear laziness. In addition to the other drawbacks noted above, I would point out that this method also requires that you break trim for no REAL reason, albeit only for a brief moment. However, depending on the conditions you're in (i.e. heavy surge) it can cause a lot of extra work to maintain your bouyancy.

I realize it sounds trivial but again, it depends on where you're diving. It's the whole reason the techniques and standards are developed in the first place.

Are you Chuck Norris?

When Chuck Norris does push ups, he stays still...the earth moves below him.

I would not use a fixed ring anywhere, and especially not on the hip. It is not necessary, and mostly serves to overcome a (largely perceived) difficulty with clipping off - something that just takes a little practice to get better at, not a non-standard piece of equipment. Also, you want the hip connections to "give" a little bit, and the fixed ring limits that ability. This may cause some problems when you start carrying multiple bottles.

I've never had a problem with a fixed ring on the hip. It seems to work fine for me with up to three bottles on my hip. I'm doing most of my diving in a thick undersuit, so there's little chance I will feel the difference between the ring giving or not. I'm also in drygloves most all the time, and often clipping off my bottles while holding onto the granny line in slight to moderate current, so if it makes clipping off my bottles a little easier, I'm all for it!

I just don't understand what the downside to the fixed DRing is for those that prefer them.

Tom

I love the tradicional Uwatec botton Timer/Depth gauge, big numbers, easy to see, reliable...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom