Best Deals on Singles BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That HOG package is a great deal. I have the HOG 23# wing on a OMS BP and it works fine.

Newish Diver here. I started back in the early 90s but took a long break. Getting back into diving. Shopping for gear has been eye opening, confusing that is LOL.
My first instinct was to go with what I knew, jacket BC. Then I tried a back inflate, rented an HD200 and loved it. Research has lead me down the BP/W rabbit hole. Thanks a lot all of you!!! Being a DIY kind of guy I am really liking the customization and ability to grow. So instead of being one of those "Going BW/P here's my like new BCD" ads in the classified. I Decided I should just start here.
I was looking at the DGX set up for a starter. DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package
i dive California, so far Monterey and south. I have been wearing a 3xl Hollis Neotec 8/7/6 semi dry with 32lbs of weight and steel 85s or HP100 tanks.
If I go with the DGX BP/W, stainless steel, what can I expect in the way of weight compared to the HD200?
What do you guys use for added weight, pockets or belt?
Will the 25# wing in this kit be enough or will I need a larger wing?

I would recommend a larger wing. A wing needs to be able to float the rig without you in it and compensate for the compression of your wet suit. You are dealing with 32 lbs of weight plus your tank is about 8 lbs negative (assuming a Faber fx), that is 40 lbs plus the weight of the other items you are carrying. You will need to split the weight up between the rig and a belt. You also need to be able to swim the rig up with no air in the wing. This will also determine how much weight to put on the belt (ditchable) and on the rig (nonditchable). You should really discuss this with your instructor.

If you are looking for an inexpensive rig with more lift try Golem or VDH.

Sorry guys but I am afraid that for Soloist its a VDH Argonaut wing or no wing. :wink: :hugs:

Received the new Argonaut wing yesterday and the review can be found here. Great wing. Can’t wait to dive it!

Review: Vintage Double Hose #18 Argonaut Wing (VDH)

I am retiring the Red/Black #23 HOG after less than 300 dives due to further deterioration (see picture). Very disappointing.

Attachments

• 1C1D8913-4576-48C6-B537-EAF13C58AF7D.jpeg
    1C1D8913-4576-48C6-B537-EAF13C58AF7D.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom