Best dive operator in Cozumel for novice divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't get your PM DandyDon, but we looked at your credentials we very much appreciate your position on the safe diving!

Nope, I didn't send one nor mention doing so. Maybe you have confused me with andreslee who did.

I was an air hog when I first started and dove with Aldora for the steel 120 tanks. reduced the amount of lead I needed to carry and allowed for longer dives.

There are lotsf dive ops in Cozumel that are great. I have enjoyed many of them over the years. I suggest that you 1 st be specific with what you want.
open fat boat ?
covered boat ?
make a whole day of it
Blow 2 tanks & have drinks by the pool

Knowing what you want is the best way to get it, otherwise you get what they give you. Make a list and then ask specific questions. Everyone has a favorite for their own reasons. Try and ask what would make it a great trip for you & I'll bet you will find it.

just returned from Cozumel. We dove with Scuba Mau entire week. It was great, except probably one so-so experience with dm Eduardo, which still was OK, but he had bit of an attitude toward us -- novice divers. Raoul is the best DM you can find -- attentive, fun to be with, patient toward novice, ready to help.

Just finished 4 great days of diving with Scuba Mau. I have been here many times but never enjoyed the dives as with this company. They are located by Papa Hogs just off the street,. Small but total class operation. Mau uses small fast boats, with no more than 6 divers. They go out in the moring at 830 and return around 1230. They have 80 or 100 cf air or 80 nitrox at 32 percent. Dive masters are very qualified, and very competent, and give you your choice where to go, great briefings and are very organized. Service is impecable. I would recomend this dive shop to newbie or experienced divers. Bottom line is great service for a very reasonable price. Mau GREAT JOB.

just returned from Cozumel. We dove with Scuba Mau entire week. It was great, except probably one so-so experience with dm Eduardo, which still was OK, but he had bit of an attitude toward us -- novice divers. Raoul is the best DM you can find -- attentive, fun to be with, patient toward novice, ready to help.
Glad it went well, but sorry you had a problem with one of the DMs. I think I suggested "that many newbies are more comfortable on the somewhat slower, large boats with room to move and onboard heads" but I like that Op and his small, fast, basic boats. I got along with all of the DMs fine, but then I don't expect much from one really as I tend to do my own thing.

I hope you told Mau about your issue with Eduardo as I am sure he'd want to know. I probly have dived with him but I am so bad on names, and again don't pay much attention to the DMs anyway, so not sure.

And, I did "suggest you hire a private DM" as I felt it would have been money well spent. Did you, or did someone tell you it wasn't needed, or - did you just not? Your answers will also help me when I try to help others here, so thanks.

Just my two cents. We stayed at Fiesta Americana in early June and decided to give Dive House a go since we are novice divers and have no problems diving with other novice divers. Dive House generally grouped us with divers of our experience level or those returning to diving after an extended absence from diving. The first morning there were 8 divers and two DM's on DH 4 (which is a very comfortable boat with a head). One owner also dove with us that morning that I didn't count in the 8. Everyone was able to dive the limits of their computers and air time. I was usually the first one up because I seem to be an air hog so I had plenty of opportunity to see how things worked aboard (was also the last one in btw). The DM's were observant but definitely NOT intrusive. The service of the captain, crew and DM's was outstanding. The DM's went out of their way to point out smaller sealife as well as anything else you might want to see. I still require a LOT of weight as a novice diver so I was elated NOT to have to climb aboard wearing all the gear (although I'm quite capable of doing so and have done it in the past). Honestly, I don't know what they could have done to make the dives more enjoyable. Because I do consume my air early, I left my buddy with the DM for the remainder of the dive and that worked out beautifully.
During our 6 days of diving, there were never more than 10 divers aboard (some had quite a bit more experience) and we always had 2 DM's for more than 8 divers. The boats never felt crowded, dives were never rushed and we were always asked where we wished to dive that day or what we wanted to see on our dive before determining which sites to dive. The last day we had only 5 divers aboard their smaller boat. It appeared to me that Dive House was able to accommodate both large and small groups with their variety of well-maintained boats (we dove from 3 different boats during the week) and professional crews.
Dive House gets an A+ from me. I would dive with them again and recommend them to others as well.

It's actually quite interesting -- we had Eduardo on a THIRD day, so we dove without any problems with others DMs prior to him! FYI: The size of the boats didn't matter to us at all.
After diving with him we felt stressed and hired a private DM. After diving with private DM and felt we didn't need one and asked Mau if it can be arranged such that we would not be part of Eduardo boat any more. He arranged it and it the rest 4 days were fine. By figuring out that only one variable in given equation is Eduardo I would make a statement that he was the reason of stressful and not so pleasant experience that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom