Best diving locations...in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ammen Rock, Cashes Ledge, Gulf of Maine: Here's why.

maps_Cashes.jpg

I have seen so many top 10 diving lists and 2 areas seem to keep popping up on every list very consistently... they are the Red Sea, Egypt and Indonesia. I have not been to either place but just the fact that these two sites keep being mentioned time and again seems to say that there is something special about them. Fortunately I will be diving both regions later this year :D

I don't know anything really about your skill level. I would carefully review (search) other threads regarding the Galopagos. This is VERY advanced diving! STRONG currents, colder water than most tropical areas. You may be up for it but is your partner? If not consider some of the other choices. Good luck and happy diving.

I'm really surprised that the Galapagos has cold water considering that it is right on the equator!

Looking at the map below of ocean currents, i'm guessing the area is under the influence of the Pacific Equatorial counter current?

ocean_currents.jpg

GALAPAGOS OCEAN CURRENTS

Located at the confluence of five ocean currents, the climate in the Galapagos Islands is different than one might imagine from islands located on the equator. The climate is dominated by the prevailing current; which creates strong, unpredictable tides between islands, cooler than normal temperatures, and ultimately results in the unique ecology of the islands.

The main ocean currents effecting the Galapagos Islands are the cold Counter Equatorial (Cromwell) Current from the west, the cold Humboldt (Peruvian Oceanic and Peruvian Coastal) Current and the from the southeast, the South Equatorial Current from the east, and the warm North Equatorial (Panama) Counter Current from the northeast which brings with it the devastating and infrequent El Niño Current. The mix of these currents and the location of the island in relation to the mix cause a wide variation of water temperatures from month to month and island to island.

HUMBOLDT CURRENT

Predominating the Galapagos climate during the summer and fall the nutrient rich Humboldt Current runs up the west coast of South America from Antarctica. This strong current brought both penguins and fur seals to the Galapagos.

As the Humboldt Current moves through the islands it cools both the land and sea temperatures bringing with it a subtropical climate. Winds come from the southeast creating an inversion layer. Low straight formed clouds cover the islands much of the day. A light mist known as locally as ‘garúa’ frequents the highlands and at times sweeps down to the shore. Though there is more precipitation this time of year it is referred to as the "dry season" since the mist-like garaua made it difficult for settlers to collect water.

The Humboldt Current is strongest in September, causing the surface waters to be choppy. This is the time when most of the boats cruising the islands go into dry-dock. These later months are a good time for green sea turtle sightings (during their mating season) and shark sightings are still high, but rays are seen less frequently.

ocean-currents.jpg

PANAMA CURRENT

In November as the Humboldt Current leaves the Galapagos and the warm waters from the Panama Current return to dominate the climate thru May. The inversion layer leaves the Galapagos. During these months the water temperatures rise to 70º to 80º F (21º-27º C). The skies are generally clear with the exception of occasional short-strong rains from which settlers we able to catch water, giving this season the name the "wet season".

The waters of the Panama Current have far less nutrients than the Humboldt Current and offer the best visibility underwater for diving and snorkeling.

EL NIÑO

Every 2 to 7 years the strong westward-blowing trade winds subside. These winds, which normally pull the warm waters to the west and allow the nutrient rich Humboldt Current to reach the Galapagos, fail to leave the islands. Instead the warm water slowly moves back eastward across the Pacific. The food chain is broken and the breeding cycle of many of the animals including: Galapagos Penguins and Marine Iguanas, which feed off the upwelling is interrupted. Warmer water temperatures also cause an increase in the mortality rate of the young birds and animals. Plants, on the other hand, seem to thrive during El Niño years. Plants, which may not have flowered in years, will flower again due to the excess water.

Peruvians named this phenomenon El Niño, for the Christ child, because it first appears around Christmas. Major El Niño Currents occurred as recently as 1998 and 2006.

So, here is the deal...my wife told me that for my next birthday she will take me to the best diving location in the world...the place that i`m dreaming about...the heaven of diving. Now here is the problem, i dont know where that place is...all i know is:...i love to dive, i love to be in the water i love to swim along with fishes, etc. I`m doing Advanced course this week-end and for sure i will do 30-40 more divings this year. I have the book "50 places to dive before you die" and a "World`s Diving Atlas" but i`m really into finding more about where SB`s members dove so far...or...where they dream to dove in the future.

I only dove in Egipt and Black Sea so far and my experience is 0 at traveling atm. So, im asking the experienced divers here that traveled to most of the continents and dove in different exotic locations what was the place that impress them much, like, where is the place you left your soul and why?

Im interested in this order:

1: Exotic marine life(small and big fishes), reefs, etc
2: Good diving conditions
3:Wreck...its not a must but if there are 1-2 in the area is better :)

Please write the continent first and as much info as possible so i can make a chart.

Thanks for reading!

ps:100 Best Dive Sites of the World

I once had a dream...and then the dream came true. So, i`ve choosed to go to Galapagos...and i just came home. I`m speechless...it was amazing...words can describe how i feel now. Darwin`s Arch its the dive site that can make your dreams come true.

YouTube - Galapagos

Enjoy! :)

@Misa, thanks for your report, what a fantastic video! I've wanted to go to the Galapagos to dive however I have been told that most of the sites there are advanced since the currents are very strong, temps are cold and the seas can be rough.

I have seen so many top 10 diving lists and 2 areas seem to keep popping up on every list very consistently... they are the Red Sea, Egypt and Indonesia. I have not been to either place but just the fact that these two sites keep being mentioned time and again seems to say that there is something special about them. Fortunately I will be diving both regions later this year :D
I cant speak for Indonesia, but no, its definetly not accidental that the red sea keep popping up on those lists.
The marine life there is both plentiful and varied and the sites is pretty much from "not certified" to "omfg are you crazy".
However, as mentioned earlier I see one flaw with most of the top 10 lists, namely that they are based on warm, much visited tourist locations. theres a whole lot of diving that would be suitable for the top 10 lists that the ones making them just dont even know exist.
But yeah, the red sea IS great..

So Misa,

North Carolina, USA, is the only place you get this kind of diving in less than 30 minutes and 30m of water:

[vimeo]12935171[/vimeo]

... and this:

[vimeo]12444151[/vimeo]

... and my favorite fish:

[vimeo]3183421[/vimeo]

The guys I dive with are JT Barker in Hatteras Village (Captain JT's Website) and James Rosemond (Tortuga Charters) in Morehead City. You can easily do each in one trip and both operators are experienced with international visitors.

ENJOY and please come see us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom