Best DSMB/spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, Funny thing is that Tying the hook in and actually moving it to a better location on the wreck is one of the most dangerous things you can do on a dive. Timing is key on every one. Normally it goes smooth, but its something you have to do on every dive, regardless of the conditions. Joe (my usual dive buddy) got his hand trapped until the next wave allowed him to free himself, under a huge piece of metal while we were doing it last trip (all at 120 fsw). Untying is also dicey but actually rather fun as you ride the hook off the wreck and do a drifting ascent with the boat. Nothing like seeing a 5 ton piece of metal go bouncing across the ocean floor if you choose wrong on the tie in. Good time to have a reel and a lift bag :)

Rob, you were an excellent team mate. You were hovering right there beside me illuminating the area with your can light as it all happened.

I can confirm that tying the hook is dangerous. I screwed up. I braced my hand on a piece of the wreck to get leverage to move the hook and then let a plate come down on my left index finger. I had to wait 8 seconds for the next swell to lift the plate. During the dive I realized just how much I depend on my left hand- left is the working side- I wasn't about to call the dive for a broken finger ;-) Two months later I still have some pain and limited mobility. I will definitely have a scar forever from the soft tissue damage, but I really hope the mobility eventually returns to full- it is getting better.

Rob, you were an excellent team mate. You were hovering right there beside me illuminating the area with your can light as it all happened.

I can confirm that tying the hook is dangerous. I screwed up. I braced my hand on a piece of the wreck to get leverage to move the hook and then let a plate come down on my left index finger. I had to wait 8 seconds for the next swell to lift the plate. During the dive I realized just how much I depend on my left hand- left is the working side- I wasn't about to call the dive for a broken finger ;-) Two months later I still have some pain and limited mobility. I will definitely have a scar forever from the soft tissue damage, but I really hope the mobility eventually returns to full- it is getting better.
Yikes!
I've always thought being the DM on deeper wreck dives would be pretty difficult. Setting the hook has always seemed pretty dangerous to me.

Closed circuit is what you are looking for - only delta between the 2 is color - both are "No-lock" one way valves. Joe I still feel bad even though there was nothing I could do until the next set came in to pull up the piece again.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom