Best fin for Drysuit diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
On a local lake dive today, I lost one of my beloved TUSA Zoom Split dive fins that I put spring straps on that I used for diving with my dry suit. I hated that!!!!
I notice that my LDS sells the HOG Tech Fin which is like the old ScubaPro Jet Fin that I used years ago. Basically a paddle fin. It is designed for use with boots that are used for diving drysuits.
I was thinking of getting a pair of those. They are only $79.00 with spring straps.
Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks.

That style of fin is tried and true. Sturdy and powerful. The only downside is they are a little heavy. If you have a problem keeping your feet up while diving this will add to the situation.

Another option is the Dive Rite Fin. Very efficient, spring straps and lighter than the Jetfin style of fin. They are a little more expensive at $100 but I have had mine for over a year now, use them both wet and dry and love them.

Jets are indeed popular with many advanced divers who use a long hose. They generally fit drysuit boots well, too.

However, they are a significantly (there's an understatement) different fin from your old Tusa Zooms. I would try them first, if possible - the feel, muscles used, and handling will be that much different.

All the best, James

Dive Rite Tech Fins aren't available right now due to a redesign (actually same design, new materials). I was debating between the DRs and Hollis F1s, and I went with the F1. I think you will like the power and control of paddle style fins. I grew up in SP Jet Fins and recently borrowed a set of splits which felt like wet noodles in comparison.

I originally used TUSA zooms with my dry suit and got pretty fed up with the general lack of motivation. After just a few short dives I switched to DR fins and found that the fins with a frog kick were easy and generated enough thrust to move me with ease through the water. I have a set of F1s on order and am looking forward to trying them out as well.

Did you dislike your zoom splits? I have the same fins and lost one in Lake Superior. I figured i would just buy another pair identical to the other so i would have a spare. A week after my new ones arrived, my dive buddy found the missing one and now i have two pair!

I hear the Hollis fins are rather good, I always liked the Turtle Fin, I don't know if its still available.

mares plana quattro (old model) are nice IMO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom