Best fins for current dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with staying away from the split fins. During a pratice rescue training I could not get the power to bring a diver up from the bottom. I had to use BC inflator to bring him up.

I agree with staying away from the split fins. During a pratice rescue training I could not get the power to bring a diver up from the bottom. I had to use BC inflator to bring him up.

How did this thread get so long without any mention of Slipstreams? Lighter than jets (not a plus) but come in a fin pocket size that makes up the huge gap between Jet XL's and XXL's. Nice fin, dive them. or Turtles...

Just to play devils advocate I agree with not using splits in a current (especially twin jets) with one exception, I've actually founds the Atomic Splits to be pretty decent in a current.

Good hijack, Z. Gives me an excuse to praise my Cressi-sub Rondine Gammas. They're so old I don't think you can find them any more, but they're still going strong. They're longer than jets, and more squared-off on the end, but same foot pocket, same vents, and just as stiff and heavy.

I added spring straps a while back. Whatever you get, get springs! You can see my Cressis here.

-Bryan
Like you, I'm 60 yo and have skinny thighs. I've had a pair of Cressi Rondine A fins for about three years now and, though I hated them at first, grew to appreciate the power these fins could provide when needed. I grew into them, I guess. You do need to wear a boot cause they're heavy and stiff. If you got the power these fins will propel you through anything.

While I'm no fan of splits I must admit that one of my assistant instructors can do a great backwards frog kick wearing SP TwinJets. I don't know how; neither does he. Maybe he just didn't hear that it can't be done until after he perfected it.

-Bryan

For open water I prefer my SP kinetix... for caves, then yeah, jets all the way. as far as splits go, I try to stay as far away from them as bad seafood

Cressi Master Frog fins. The little broher of Garas.
I started diving with Tusa Xpert Zoom fins and nice in quiet environments and they are fast as your legs and your condition does, but my need to have strong impulse to rescue and deal with strong currents and huge waves make me think in an additional save margin, just in case as in diving all should be. I used them in Cozumel and I could easily dive against currents (just for fun) and deal with high waves in several environments.
Another good option.

Back
Top Bottom