Best fins for wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I recently switched from XXL Jets to APS Mantaray 6-gills in white. They're easily 1/3 the weight and give just as much thrust, plus they're very easy to see at depth.

http://www.apsmantaray.com/product.html

Recently used them on a tec trip to Dominican Republic.

I was using double LP85's, 80cf stage bottle, and a full aquatica housing with dual strobes. Not exactly a streamlined rig.

Had some surface current on a few spots, and could kick to the anchor line with all that kit with no problems.

Just my two cents -

D.

Jet Fins all the way!!!!! nothing moves you like them. and you have superior control over your movements. I used to be sold on the force fins but, recently switched to the Jets. and its like the name says they move you around like a jet. even against strong current. I also like how precise your movements can be. very subtle kicking can turn you left, right and backwards on a dime. something real important inside a wreck. Learn to do the frog kick and your buddies will appreciate the lack of a silt cloud behind you. Its amazing how fast you can go with the frog kick on these fins.

Last edited:
I make my own. Total cost is less than 25 cents and they last for more than 100 dives.

Heck, the rubber straps that come with Jets typically last me about 500 dives.

OMS Slipstreams work very well in structural environments.....and spring straps are the way to fly.

For inside the wreck, same as a cave: Slipstreams, Turtles, Jet Fins, etc. And learn how to do a modified frog kick as well. If you have been using split fins for a while, you will have been spoiled though. On your way to the wreck, you'll feel like your in molasses, but once it side, they are great.

did you really just say that you will swim faster in split fins... all i can say is wow you are the perfect example of a cyber diver... some1 who reads all the reviews and believes them 100% split fins are junk unless you are extremely weak/have major knee/leg probs. i get many people coming in asking for split fins and 99% of the time i send them out with either avanti x-3s or something similar... too bad i cant convince them to use real fins in the beginning but i guess they will always buy jetfins later

As has been suggested multiple times use jet fins or a similar style no need to list jets/turtles/any other fin designs that have been passed around distributer to distributer

Dive-Rite! Good enough for Caves, good enough for wrecks! Keep the Split fins out of both! Next would be other blade fins as suggested above!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom