Best Lake Michigan Wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bladephotog

Contributor
Reaction score
If you had one trip to take to anywhere in Lake Michigan for recreational level wrecks where would you go? I'm looking to photograph some Lake Michigan wrecks this year and would like to hear which you think are must dive wrecks, in terms of visibility, history and how intact the wreck is. So folks, where should I head? Thanks.

For the greatest concentration of non-tech dive sites in Lake Michigan, I'd have to stick with the Straits of Mackinac. I can't think of anywhere else that has so many wrecks within a few miles of each other. There are schooners, wooden steamers, steel freighters, etc. -- dozens within reach -- although some are technically in Lake Huron (the two meet there, of course) The vis varies and the wreck conditions vary, but still...

Wisconsin divers may have some other ideas, though. ;-)

Oldpirate probably has this one nailed. Never been to the Straits yet, but I will someday. I happen to live near Port Washington and visit the fore mentioned Northerner and the Island City a couple times a year. The Northerner is upright and fairly intact. Although the Island City lays in 125 fow it is a fiellet O schooner. It's attraction are the fish nets and floats snagged on it. You can see both in this video I put together. Labor Day Weekend with the Deep Six Dive Group -Schooner Northerner and Island City on Vimeo. If I venture up to Sheboygan i can visit the Byron and Hetty Taylor. The Byron is a small schooner off JM Kohler Terre Andre state park in 135 fow. Cute little thing. The Hetty Taylor is a little to the North down about 105. Her stern is all broken up from a salvage attempt, but she has a beautiful bow sprit that is a great photo op.

jim

If you're looking for wrecks within recreational range, then the Straits area has some great wrecks. There are a lot of great wrecks from Milwaukee up to Green Bay.

I like Capt Jitka (shipwreckexplorers.com) and Capt. Dale (captdales.com). Jitka runs out of Milwaukee and Dale runs out of Wakegan (far north suburb of Chicago). Jim Gentile runs out of downtown Chicago (windycitydivers.com). Let me know when you come to town, I'd dive with you.

What wreck sites you want to go to will depend on just what you want. For pure historic value I would recommend Lady Elgin. For the best wreck penetration and exploration, S.S. Wisconsin will not dissapoint you and there is so much there that you will never fully explore her. Visibility is best in the spring when 100 ft is not very unusual but is good away from shore, harbors and rivers most of the summer months. Visibility north of the 42nd parallel and more than one mile off shore averages 40 ft.

I checked out your web site. Your photography is first rate. With one who knows the wrecks pointing you in the right direction, you could find picture opportunities on any of our wrecks. My favorite picture taken on the great lakes is one of a diver with the wooden stock anchor of the schooner, St. Mary. She rests in 105 feet of water off of Highland Park. The Photograph was taken by Joe Oliver and hangs on the wall of my office. The anchor of Lady Elgin is also very photogenic, as is the paddle wheel of Seabird.

Thanks for the replies. I've been to the Straits and love it, but am looking for something in the rest of Lake Michigan. I'll keep looking. Any charter recommendations from Chicago on up to Milwaukee?

I like Capt Jitka (shipwreckexplorers.com) and Capt. Dale (captdales.com). Jitka runs out of Milwaukee and Dale runs out of Wakegan (far north suburb of Chicago). Jim Gentile runs out of downtown Chicago (windycitydivers.com). Let me know when you come to town, I'd dive with you.

What wreck sites you want to go to will depend on just what you want. For pure historic value I would recommend Lady Elgin. For the best wreck penetration and exploration, S.S. Wisconsin will not dissapoint you and there is so much there that you will never fully explore her. Visibility is best in the spring when 100 ft is not very unusual but is good away from shore, harbors and rivers most of the summer months. Visibility north of the 42nd parallel and more than one mile off shore averages 40 ft.

I checked out your web site. Your photography is first rate. With one who knows the wrecks pointing you in the right direction, you could find picture opportunities on any of our wrecks. My favorite picture taken on the great lakes is one of a diver with the wooden stock anchor of the schooner, St. Mary. She rests in 105 feet of water off of Highland Park. The Photograph was taken by Joe Oliver and hangs on the wall of my office. The anchor of Lady Elgin is also very photogenic, as is the paddle wheel of Seabird.

Cedarville, Eber Ward in the Straights stick out in my mind as must do's......

SS. Wisconsin in Kenosha\Waukegon , Car Ferry Milwaukee and St. Albans up in Milwaukee...

Thanks for the replies. I've been to the Straits and love it, but am looking for something in the rest of Lake Michigan. I'll keep looking. Any charter recommendations from Chicago on up to Milwaukee?

I believe there talking about the Straits of Mackinaw the ship....Not the Area between the upper and lower penninsula of Michigan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom