Best Lake Michigan Wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I don't want to be accused of being biased but its hard to beat going out of Manitowoc. Within 20 miles we have the Floretta, Silver Lake, Home, Allen, Gallinipper, McMullen & Pitz Dredge, Crane, Vernon, Simmons, Baldwin and Hinton. That gives you a range of depths from 15' to 215'. If you want to go a bit farther you can add the Lakeland, America, Ocean Wave and Lyons to the north and the Taylor, Chamberlain, and Pringle to the south. See the following for a few typical pics: Picasa Web Albums - GaryD - Manitowoc are... I dive all these wrecks regularly and love them all but still wish I lived closer to Presque Isle for the fabulous wrecks in that area of Lake Huron!

Gary

Ok, I don't want to be accused of being biased but its hard to beat going out of Manitowoc. Within 20 miles we have the Floretta, Silver Lake, Home, Allen, Gallinipper, McMullen & Pitz Dredge, Crane, Vernon, Simmons, Baldwin and Hinton. That gives you a range of depths from 15' to 215'. If you want to go a bit farther you can add the Lakeland, America, Ocean Wave and Lyons to the north and the Taylor, Chamberlain, and Pringle to the south. See the following for a few typical pics: Picasa Web Albums - GaryD - Manitowoc are... I dive all these wrecks regularly and love them all but still wish I lived closer to Presque Isle for the fabulous wrecks in that area of Lake Huron!

Gary

I have to agree. There are some very nice wrecks out of Manitowoc.

My team and I have done some extensive training on the SS Flamingo in order to do some really neat dives on the Milwaukee Car Ferry, The Wille, and the Northerner.....They area a pretty good start......

Ah yes, the Flamingo.... and then off to the lark and maybe finish up with a quick stop at the drain plug....

I once built a sculpture on top of the Flamingo out of all of the random stuff around/in it. Also, planted little toy expanding manta rays inside. Good times....

Wrecks: S.S. Milwaukee, Northerner, E.R. Williams, S.S. Wisconsin, Wels Burt, St. Mary

:)

Ok, I don't want to be accused of being biased but its hard to beat going out of Manitowoc. Within 20 miles we have the Floretta, Silver Lake, Home, Allen, Gallinipper, McMullen & Pitz Dredge, Crane, Vernon, Simmons, Baldwin and Hinton.
Gary
Wow, I didn't realize Manitowoc had such a nice variety of wrecks. They should promote these a bit more, or maybe they like to remain quiet. Regardless, thanks for sharing the photos, Gary. Any chance of labeling the pics, so we know which wrecks your on? Thanks again for sharing, Doug

Has anyone hit the SE shore of Lake Michigan? Specifically in or around South Haven-Saugatuck-Holland MI? Are there any boats operating out of that area?

If you had one trip to take to anywhere in Lake Michigan for recreational level wrecks where would you go? I'm looking to photograph some Lake Michigan wrecks this year and would like to hear which you think are must dive wrecks, in terms of visibility, history and how intact the wreck is. So folks, where should I head? Thanks.

No one mentioned the E.R. Williams. It's off of St. Martin Is., about 100' of water, bow sprit in place, masts toppled but there, an excellent dive! The Green Bay can tint the water but we had 30-40 feet when dove her....6-8 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize Manitowoc had such a nice variety of wrecks. They should promote these a bit more, or maybe they like to remain quiet. Regardless, thanks for sharing the photos, Gary. Any chance of labeling the pics, so we know which wrecks your on? Thanks again for sharing, Doug

You know, I was wondering as I was typing that post if this was a mistake. A few years ago you could motor up to the moorings on any of the wrecks and tie right up. The last few years you might have to tie off someone's stern or vice versa. At times you even have to wait til there's room which can be a considerable wait since 1hr plus dive times are fairly typical. On second thought...the wrecks around Milwaukee are much better you should go there instead. :cool2:
Gary

No one mentioned the E.R. Williams. It's off of St. Martin Is., about 100' of water, bow sprit in place, masts toppled but there, an excellent dive! The Green Bay can tint the water but we had 30-40 feet when dove her....6-8 years ago

Refer to page 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom