Best Lake Michigan Wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe there talking about the Straits of Mackinaw the ship....Not the Area between the upper and lower penninsula of Michigan.

The coal-fired ferry, The Straits of Mackinac, is located about 10 miles off of Evanston in Lake Michigan in about 70 feet of water. It was purposly sunk as an attraction for divers. While it is not a "real" wreck it makes a good site for shipwreck diver training. BTW, the word "The" in the name, "The straits of Mackinac," is capitalized as it is actually part of the documented name of the vessel. - Quite unusual.

The E.R. Williams just off Poverty Island ( I think that's the name of the Island) is a great looking wreck, it's about 100' in depth.

The E.R. Williams just off Poverty Island ( I think that's the name of the Island) is a great looking wreck, it's about 100' in depth.

A little out of the way, but a fine wreck to visit. I've not used yet, but heard good things about Captain Kathy, Dive Diva Charters - Gills Rock, WI, She'll get you to the ER Williams and many of the other popular Door county wrecks.

For good magazine articles and good photographs I would recommend these wrecks:

S.S. Wisconsin - Very popular wreck, 215 ft long steel steam freighter sank in 1929. Good large scale pictures and pictures of autos in the hold.

Lady Elgin - Side wheeled steamer sank in 1860. Greatest loss of life of any wreck on the Great Lakes. Huge politcal / historical consequences. Broken up but pictures of the anchors, windlass, paddle wheel and ribs will display well.

Seabird - Side wheel steamer burned in 1868. Third greatest loss of life for shipwrecks on the Great Lakes. This wreck is in 25 ft very close to shore. On a good day photos of the wheel with divers swimming through it can be truly spectacular. Because it is close to shore there is a lot of silt and if the weather has not been calm for a few days the visability may not be very good.

St. Mary - 120 foot schooner sank in 105 feet of water in a storm the same day in 1860 as Lady Elgin went down. Good pictures can be had of the anchor, windless and deas eyes.

Wels Burt - Schooner. Popular Chicago area wreck. It is mostly intact. Many elements, such as dead eyes have been chained or cabled in place to prevent theft but may photograph well.

The Straits of Mackinac - Coal fired steam ferry sank as an artificial reef. This is a very popular Chicago area wreck. It offers good large scale photo opportunities and some good pictures inside in both the mechanical areas and passenger spaces.

For good magazine articles and good photographs I would recommend these wrecks:

S.S. Wisconsin - Very popular wreck, 215 ft long steel steam freighter sank in 1929. Good large scale pictures and pictures of autos in the hold.

Lady Elgin - Side wheeled steamer sank in 1860. Greatest loss of life of any wreck on the Great Lakes. Huge politcal / historical consequences. Broken up but pictures of the anchors, windlass, paddle wheel and ribs will display well.

Seabird - Side wheel steamer burned in 1868. Third greatest loss of life for shipwrecks on the Great Lakes. This wreck is in 25 ft very close to shore. On a good day photos of the wheel with divers swimming through it can be truly spectacular. Because it is close to shore there is a lot of silt and if the weather has not been calm for a few days the visability may not be very good.

St. Mary - 120 foot schooner sank in 105 feet of water in a storm the same day in 1860 as Lady Elgin went down. Good pictures can be had of the anchor, windless and deas eyes.

Wels Burt - Schooner. Popular Chicago area wreck. It is mostly intact. Many elements, such as dead eyes have been chained or cabled in place to prevent theft but may photograph well.

The Straits of Mackinac - Coal fired steam ferry sank as an artificial reef. This is a very popular Chicago area wreck. It offers good large scale photo opportunities and some good pictures inside in both the mechanical areas and passenger spaces.

Do you have any charters going out this month?

Do you have any charters going out this month?

Enterprise is in drydock now. She will launch for 2010 around April 1 if the weather cooperates.

Enterprise is in drydock now. She will launch for 2010 around April 1 if the weather cooperates.

Thanks Dale, I'm now forced to drive to MO. this week and then Florida a couple of weeks after that to satisfy my addiction. I wish there were an easier way to enjoy the local watering holes during the winter months......:headscratch:.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom