Best liveaboard in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can afford the Ocean Rover you won't be disappointed. Unlimited flexibility in diving as well as great facilities - rooms, food, etc.

I am a single guy and will be trying a liveaboard in Phuket. The Queen Scuba was recommended to me but the thing that concerns me about it is that most of the rooms seem like they are configured for couples. I am concerned that I would be the only person there on the boat alone. I guess in that case one of the instructors would be my buddy (which might not be a bad thing)?

The South Siam boats, although touted as "cattle market" diving, might be a better choice for someone diving alone since there will be more people and it looks as though they cater more to single divers (due to the room configurations on the boat).

I have not paid for the liveaboard yet but time is running out if I want the Queen Scuba.

I also like the configuration of the new boat, the Pawara, but I am concerned with the fact that it is Thai operated. I am concerned that the english of the instructors won't be that good (I plan on taking my Advanced Open Water on board and since I lack any experience I may need more help). The Queen Scuba has the advantage there since it is western owned.

Any thoughts?

I know for sure one of the guides on the Pawara will be a Western Instructor, and in general also the Thais working on these boats will have an excellent command of English.

Correct, South Siam caters more to single divers. In general I would recommend a boat in the cheaper category boats to you, like Really Wicked Witch or the Carina and Huntsa.
On these boats you will find more single divers than on the more expensive boats, that cater more to couples/groups of friends.

I didn't even know of those boats. Thanks for the info. I will look into them.

stevenl:
I know for sure one of the guides on the Pawara will be a Western Instructor, and in general also the Thais working on these boats will have an excellent command of English.

Correct, South Siam caters more to single divers. In general I would recommend a boat in the cheaper category boats to you, like Really Wicked Witch or the Carina and Huntsa.
On these boats you will find more single divers than on the more expensive boats, that cater more to couples/groups of friends.

I watched how the South Siam boats handle their multitudes of divers -- lots of splashing around by lots of people. I guess it might be a bit more social, but if you want a nicer diving environment (i.e. = fewer people in the water), choose a boat with less capacity. Personally, I was on the now defunct Rhapsody, which carried only 8, as a single (paired with another single in a bunk cabin); with two groups of 4 divers per DM, it was great!

Simon, what happened to the Rhapsody? I had a friend that was a regular DM on there.

Have to say yes to Ringo's post. D/inn is very adequate. Also ask about Karon cafe for Burgers; you have been told !

South Siam III is the most popular boat for us over the last month (massive flexibility and reasonably priced) its newish but not a luxury boat by any means and if you want a bit of class and style without the mass-market appeal perhaps have a look at the boat Philkade

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom