Best Mask Defog ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I’ve recently been on a dive trip to Scapa flow ( amazing btw :) ) with covid the boat wouldn’t allow you to spit in mask so provided small bottles with baby shampoo ( no more tears ) and water worked amazing and smelt good too. Just wondering if anybody else uses something other than spit and what the results were ?
If your mask is well prepared after buying it. I always recommend my students to use on their own mask, not a rented one, your own spit.
Three good reasons
- you never run out of it
-it does not harm the reef
-and it's free

Always defog your mask just before entering the water.

Happy Diving!

How much shampoo ends up on the deck? What about the guy who slips? Just buy sea drops instead of shampoo it's the same price anyway and more compact. Only 2 drops needed.

How much shampoo ends up on the deck? What about the guy who slips? Just buy sea drops instead of shampoo it's the same price anyway and more compact. Only 2 drops needed.
None ends up on the deck. In fact, I’ve never seen anyone slip on any kind of defog on a boat (and many boats use shampoo or even dish soap).

I dilute it to 1/3 strength in a small spray bottle and put a lite spray on each lens before I splash. I can’t be bothered to buy any special product for this - diluted baby shampoo works perfectly and we use it to wash the dog, so already have it on hand.

Sea drops is about 100x more expensive than baby shampoo.

Old post, same answer as last time, Spit defog spay , and the mask cleaned when needed with Sea Buff drops. Modern mask, modern solution, spit worked very well before all this silicone was used. Modern silicone masks need to cleaned before use, and I clean them again when needed with Sea Buff drops .

I use sandpaper to remove the sheen from the skirt so it absorbs rather than reflects light and warms the mask

006.JPG

I think it looks rugged so I can pretend to be rugged too and grind the logos from the lenses as I was not paid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom