Best place in Caribe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bati

Reaction score
Hi all!!!!!!!!!
I´m planing to dive in Roatan in April and i´ have the doubt if it is the best place to dive.
The idea is to dive in central America or the caribbean sea.
I dove in Koa-Tao,Cozumel,St Martin,Brazil and Cenotes in Mexico.By far the best place was Mexico.
I prefer seeing big fish than corals.
Can anyone give me some advice if Roatan is a good place or i have to choose other?

Thanks,

Bati

Personally I wouldn't consider Roatan for big fish. There are some barracuda and grouper on the north side but the only sharks you'd likely see are at the shark dive.

I'd look into Grand Cayman or the Bahamas. Cayman has sharks, rays, tarpon and the Bahamas has lots of sharks - esp. around Nassau.

For really big fish, one week near the end of April is Whale Shark season in Belize...

The bahamas is you best chance for big stuff.

Roatan will be somewhat like Cozumel in what you see.

To the OP, that's a very hard question to answer---because of many reasons...ie 1 guy may like chocolate, the other like vanilla etc etc etc....IMO, you're really gunna have to get out & visit several places to decide for yourself.....Then, when you like a place, keep going back till you get tired of it(lol)....

I would start out by looking @ different diver's pics/videos---hey it's a starting place, lol...You are more than happy to view mine, listed are several Caribbean spots, CZM, Dominica, Little Cayman, & even a few from Roatan(didn't have digital UW technology when we owned our house there so have only 'transferred' a few from 35 mm to the internet), even have several Flower Garden albums there, another possible destination for you cuz you WILL see a lot of big 'things',.....Just look down the left hand side of the below linked site & their titles will tell you which is which....

Good luck on your future diving & let us know what YOU decide on as a good destination, might help others out in the future..

Pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

Though we think that Roatan has very good diving for the value like the others have said it is not a big fish dive location.
You may want to look at Utila for a chance to see the whale sharks, your best chance will be around a full moon..
Your best bet for Pelagic Encounters would be Socorro Island off of Mexico, Cocos Island off of Costa Rica or The Galapagos. You may also want to look at the Liveaboard Dolphin Dreams that goes out to the Bahamas for Tiger Sharks.:D

I have to agree with the others. Roatan is all about the gorgeous reefs and finding the little stuff that is so abundant there like seahorses, etc. If you are into big stuff, I would think about doing a trip to Bahamas on a liveaboard or Turks and Caicos on a liveaboard. They will get you out to where the big fish hang out. :D

my Nekton liveaboard trip: [vimeo]983961[/vimeo]

lots of sharks, lots of turtles, lots of schooling tuna...

or if you have the money, go to the Pacific and do a liveaboard trip to Palau! Big fish, heck yeah!
my Palau liveaboard trip: [vimeo]3493905[/vimeo]

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom