Best Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheGnome:
Well to tell you the truth I could do It on OC but it is a wreak I would feel safer on the rebreather money is not really a issue. I am taking alot of diving for boats trying to get better at diving wreaks I am going to dive the Andrea Doria next year and I would feel safer with a CCR. Well I got to go thanks for everyone that said something
So you haven't even started diving Nitrox yet and you plan to o the Doria next year?

I assume living in Texas most of your diving is in warm water, probably in a wetsuit. Do you even have your AOW? What's your deepest dive to date, coldest?

Within a years time you expcet to do Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox, and Trimix? or Nitrox Advanced Nitrox, CCR (then log a bunch of hours on it), then do the tech training for your CCR? And then actually dive the Doria?

Are you insane? I'd would warn you against this dive, except there isn't a captain in his right mind who is going to take a diver with your experience to the Doria.

From what I have read, the Andrea Doria is one of the more difficult wreck dives and only recommended for very seasoned divers. Given your posts in this thread, it doesn't sound like you have the experience necessary to do this dive safely.

grunzster:
So you haven't even started diving Nitrox yet and you plan to o the Doria next year?

Within a years time you expcet to do Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox, and Trimix? or Nitrox Advanced Nitrox, CCR (then log a bunch of hours on it), then do the tech training for your CCR? And then actually dive the Doria?

Are you insane? I'd would warn you against this dive, except there isn't a captain in his right mind who is going to take a diver with your experience to the Doria.

I have to agree with grunzster, what's the rush! It nice to have goals in life, like diving the Doria. Just like you I would love to dive her but I think you are at least 2 years away at the minimum. Good luck to you.

I’m in somewhat of the same boat as you. Deep wreck diving fascinates me, but with college just about to start I really see no need to rush it. At one point I even began saving for technical training because my parents wouldn’t pay for it. Now I see why they wouldn’t pay for it. Honestly, I think that in college I’ll be busy enough with my schooling that it will be difficult enough to keep up my recreational skills, let alone technical skills. Wait a little while until you’re out of college. Besides, you have started much earlier than a majority of divers. I guarantee you’ll still have time to see some of the legendary sights. Sure, if you wait it probably won’t be the Doria, but I guarantee there will be a wreck to take the Doria’s place as the Mount Everest of diving.

The Gruntzer is right. The Doria on air, even on a CCR not the best idea - No kidding Sherlock. Get some more experience, do Nitrox and Adv Nitrox and then get some more experience. Then get doubles and get more experience. Go trimix, normoxic first and guess what - get more experience Try a dive on a CCR, try a few different ones and the look at your goals.

Stay safe,

paul

Exactly!

The Doria isn't going anywhere, sure parts of her are collapsing, but it's not like she'll be gone in a few years.

You're much younger than a lot of us here, you have plenty of time to make it to the deep legendary wrecks.

As someone pointed out earlier, you're at least a few years away. If you really plan on going the CCR route, you're even further away, as you're required to log a lot of hours on any given unit, before even starting the Trimix training on it.

Also diving in the cold/dark NE waters is a hell of a lot different than the diving you're doing down in TX.

I've been diving dry for about 1 1/2 years, Nitrox for about the same, and doubles since the begining of the summer. Just dove the Bass a few weeks back and that was an accomplishment in its self for me.

I'd be interested in someday diving the Doria and the 869, but that's pretty far away, if I ever make it. Before I even think of any tech training I just want to get a lot more experience in the Atlantic. Also there's a lot of really cool wrecks out there that aren't that deep. For example can't wait to make it back out to the U-853, and would love to do the Bass again, also The San Diego, The Oregon, The Stolt, etc.

The reason I stumbled into this forum is regardless of if I get into REAL technical diving, I'm really considering going the CCR route. With all the units out there and all the information, it will probably be at least a year before I even decide which one to train on. And probably a few months after that before I'll be ready to even dive it on the shallow in shore wrecks around here.

My point is:
I'm further along in my training than you, have more experience in conditions similar to what you may experience on a wreck such as the Doria, and also a lot older than you (less time)...and I have some of the same goals as you, but I'm not in any hurry. If I'm lucky I'll have my rebreather by next year. If I'm really lucky I'll have enough hours on it to be doing some REAL dives off NJ with it.

Take your time!

I have been on the doria, 869 all that stuff, both open and CCR. To give you an idea of the experience I have underwater, I was cert. when I was 8 years old I was 16 before I made my first wreck dive (offshore), so thats 8 years of NORTHEAST diving before gong deeper than maybe 80 feet??

I have seen to many people on the "FAST TRACK" end up dead, most divers that have been around will agree. Diving is dangerious and people are going to die, but deaths as a result of inexperience are preventable. Slow down as another member said these wrecks will be there.

your at least 3 years away from diving these wrecks via scuba, much longer for a rebreather. The diference between a good diver and a great diver is that a great diver has a comfort level under water that only comes with experience, they simply feel at home in the ocean. Time is the only thing that will bring that feeling.

As far as rebreathers go I like these in order

1) Oroboros (its the new do anything unit, its very complex though)
2) Meg. great reliable unit that can take a beating
3) Insperation ( its not perfect, but it performs as stated by the mfg. ....... which is nice )
4) Kiss ( simple to use, nice clean design, reliable ) I prefer electronics, but the kiss is a good unit.

I have never dove an Oroboros, but that my next purchase, what i will say is that I have NEVER had to abort a dive with a Meg., Insp., or KISS. I think that says aloty about thoes products.

Cheers

Biopaks are great fun to play with as a hands-on intro to RBs, especially if you can get a 60 or 120 for <$100, but I never have been every able to find anyone who is actually regularly doing serious diving with one. What kind of depths/durations are you seeing?

Most seem to get the thing partially converted, take a bunch of pictures of it in a pool or quarry, then move on to something else. Not sure why, though there are rumored to be some subtle limitations to the BPs that make them less than idea for UW use.

padiver:
I converted a SCBA (BioPak 60, and 240) into a SCUBA CCR so the design was and is a proven design. Actually if you look at the pictures of the 240 it looks exactly like the 500 that is built for underwater use.

oxyhacker:
Biopaks are great fun to play with as a hands-on intro to RBs, especially if you can get a 60 or 120 for <$100, but I never have been every able to find anyone who is actually regularly doing serious diving with one. What kind of depths/durations are you seeing?

Most seem to get the thing partially converted, take a bunch of pictures of it in a pool or quarry, then move on to something else. Not sure why, though there are rumored to be some subtle limitations to the BPs that make them less than idea for UW use.

Well you just met one that is diving the BP 240 pretty much full time. Another diver actually gave me the idea he dives a BP 60 full time. He takes his out on ocean dives, quarries, and anywhere else he goes. He actually also runs his off his own software simular to hammerhead.

From what I have heard the WOB increases at depth but I have not seen this as of yet. Also alot of people do try to convert it and the ones I have seen never make it passed the full O2 rebreather. Since they do not add PPO2 devices they can't take it passed 20 feet safely. I have only seen 2 BP's that have PPO2 monitoring and I built one of them. A few other friends are also building them with my help and starting out with them as a fully close fully O2 rebreather limited to only 20 feet.

I have only had the BP 240 to 87 feet so far but my friend has had his BP 60 to 113ft about 10 miles out off Atlantic City in NJ. But like I said it all depends on how you rebuild them, what you use for a DSV, and also if there is PPO2 monitoring on it.

If you want to see more information on my BP 240, or BP 60 dive logs on both for this year visit http://www.rebreathertech.com.

Back
Top Bottom