Best scuba destination for Xmas: Raja Ampat or The Philippines?

Where should I scuba this Christmas?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dan_T!

So I'm really debating between...

Traveling to Sorong early and spending some time at a homestay on one of the many islands (Arborek, Kri, etc.)
Arborek: As Far as it Gets from Bali | Design Think Travel

vs

Debating between spending Dec 20-23 in Bali, relax for 2 nights.
Travel to Sorong via Jakarta or Makassar on Dec 23rd.
What are the chances of my checked-in luggage getting left behind in Makassar?

I guess the other option would be just to kick it in Jakarta and check myself into some kind of a resort...

Thanks Dan_T!

So I'm really debating between...

Traveling to Sorong early and spending some time at a homestay on one of the many islands (Arborek, Kri, etc.)
Arborek: As Far as it Gets from Bali | Design Think Travel

vs

Debating between spending Dec 20-23 in Bali, relax for 2 nights.
Travel to Sorong via Jakarta or Makassar on Dec 23rd.
What are the chances of my checked-in luggage getting left behind in Makassar?

I guess the other option would be just to kick it in Jakarta and check myself into some kind of a resort...

I always worry about the hygiene of those homestay. My stomach doesn’t have all the immunity to cope with some of the microbes living in the local diet / food, in other words, I could get diarrhea easier than the local people. Getting sick before boarding the nice liveaboard would be waste of money & definitely ruin my vacation. Been there, done that.

Go spend the time in Bali. I’ve been doing like that in the last 10 year I went diving in Indonesia. I’ve been flying from Bali to Sorong via Makassar about 3 - 4 times & haven’t lost a luggage, yet (knock on wood). The long layover insures your luggages would go with you.

All very good points! I'm not seeing a long layover in Makassar on the 23rd though.

It would be too risky to arrive early in the morning of the 24th if the boat starts accepting people at noon? I wonder if they would deliver any stragglers if my flights get messed up...

Garuda may have changed the schedule then. Last November from Denpasar to Sorong, I had 8 hour layover in Makassar & ended up stay over night in an airport hotel in Makassar.

May be wise to come a day earlier. However, I’ve done this trip about 7 times and always arriving in the morning of the boat embarkation date. My lucky star still shining on me, I guess. :D

So even for 2 nights in Bali you'd do it? I guess I could go get pampered at one of the spas in Ubud, although I'm kind of wondering if I need to go outside of Jakarta for that.

Have any of you been to the 1000 islands near Jakarta?

So even for 2 nights in Bali you'd do it? I guess I could go get pampered at one of the spas in Ubud, although I'm kind of wondering if I need to go outside of Jakarta for that.

Have any of you been to the 1000 islands near Jakarta?

Yes. Even dove there. Forget about it. Just go to Bali.

Have you dove in Tulamben & Nusa Pineda?

Yes. Even dove there. Forget about it. Just go to Bali.

Have you dove in Tulamben & Nusa Pineda?

Excellent advice from Dan_T. Bali is a wonderful destination for recovering from jet lap. Even one day in the sun, will help reset your body clock. FYI, If I travel from Denpasar to Sorong via Makassar, I usually spend the night in the airport hotel. Commonly its an early morning departure (3:30am) for Sorong on Garuda airlines.

Hello again,
Now that I have booked this incredible trip, I've ran into an odd puzzle.

PADI's Liveaboard trips come with Diveassure diving insurance, but not trip insurance.

Do you normally just double up on insurances with DAN (which includes both diving and travel), or what's the best strategy here?

DAN dive insurance is not really trip insurance. It includes some trip related stuff, but it's not the same as actual trip insurance (which they also sell.)

The issue is that I already have dive insurance with Diveassure (came with the liveaboard through PADI) so I'm trying to add trip insurance to it.

Any other companies to look at other than DAN? Like non-diver insurance providers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom