Best scuba destination for Xmas: Raja Ampat or The Philippines?

Where should I scuba this Christmas?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have DAN dive accident insurance & travel insurance, which also from DAN. Since you already have the travel insurance from Diveassure, then you can just get the dive accident insurance part from DAN, which is usually pretty cheap.

It's actually vice versa -- I have the dive insurance from Diveassure and need travel insurance on top of that.

I think you made an excellent choice with the Samambaia!

I did quite a bit or research of numerous liveaboards for Raja Ampat and ended up booking the entire boat for January of 2020 when I was at DEMA last year. I got a chance to speak with the owners and they were great. Some of my diving friends know the cruise director and say he is one of the best. You are actually getting what I consider a luxury liveaboard without the luxury price. I know $5000 isn't cheap but some of the more established high end liveaboards can go in the $7000 range.

The reports I have seen have been excellent!

@krist3l I have beat this topic to death so I think you’re in luck! If you do a search for the word “insurance” with my username, I have broken the options down.

I run DAN a dive accident and purchase dive travel insurance with dive Assure, not DAN. Their travel coverage plus liveaboard rider policy is better. DAN does not offer a liveaboard rider. I also take out Geo Blue Traveler health insurance to supplement my regular health insurance at home. I get $1M $0 deductible for very little. Have a look at the info I’ve shared in some threads. I even went as far as breaking down some of the fine print. It’ll be a good read before bedtime zzzzz!

Well, while we are on such a thrilling topic, have you had any experiences with their secondary insurance?
How subpar is it to the primary?

Well, while we are on such a thrilling topic, have you had any experiences with their secondary insurance?
How subpar is it to the primary?

Hi, @krist3l. I had to make a claim for my most recent trip on trip interruption/cancellation. I bought secondary. Secondary just means they will let primary foot the bill first before they will go in and foot the bill. If you don't have "primary", even if you buy "secondary", they will be the one to foot the bill if there are no other options.

Hi, @krist3l. I had to make a claim for my most recent trip on trip interruption/cancellation. I bought secondary. Secondary just means they will let primary foot the bill first before they will go in and foot the bill. If you don't have "primary", even if you buy "secondary", they will be the one to foot the bill if there are no other options.

@outofofficebrb , did you make a claim with DAN , Dive Assure or your other insurance? How did it go?

I think you made an excellent choice with the Samambaia!

I did quite a bit or research of numerous liveaboards for Raja Ampat and ended up booking the entire boat for January of 2020 when I was at DEMA last year. I got a chance to speak with the owners and they were great. Some of my diving friends know the cruise director and say he is one of the best. You are actually getting what I consider a luxury liveaboard without the luxury price. I know $5000 isn't cheap but some of the more established high end liveaboards can go in the $7000 range.

The reports I have seen have been excellent!

The timing was perfect for her too. Samambaia was having last spot for female to share, so I suggested to book it quickly. Glad to hear she got it.

What dates are you going to be with them in RA. I’ll be there in Jan 14-25, 2020 with Amira. We might bump into each other there.

I also will be there with Putri Papua from Dec 24, 2019 to Jan 3, 2020. Flying home (Houston) on Jan 4, 2020 & flying back to RA on Jan 10, 2020.

It's actually vice versa -- I have the dive insurance from Diveassure and need travel insurance on top of that.

Glad to hear @outofofficebrb response to your inquiry. She is the SME for this diving accident & travel insurance stuff.

FYI, my DAN travel insurance did reimburse my $1500 deductible when I got into non diving emergency in Honolulu. My primary insurance covered the main cost of $6000. So, nothing was coming out of my pocket.

What dates are you going to be with them in RA. I’ll be there in Jan 14-25, 2020 with Amira. We might bump into each other there.

I also will be there with Putri Papua from Dec 24, 2019 to Jan 3, 2020. Flying home (Houston) on Jan 4, 2020 & flying back to RA on Jan 10, 2020.

I have the boat January 6th - 17th. I suspect we will arrive in Sorong at least one day early on the 5th. Maybe if I see the Amira those few days we are both on the water I will swim over!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom