Best scuba diving mag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My whole family was certified (open water, not insane assylum) about a year ago with a PADI instructor. We thus ended up subscribing to "Sport Diver" magazine which is about to expire. I have been asking around just a few people about their favorite scuba rag, assuming "Sport Diver" is not the best of breed (maybe it is, you tell me). A couple stood out, "Dive Training" and "Rodale's". Any suggestions from this larger group at ScubaBoard would be greatly appreciated. We're interested in both in depth travel reviews and equipment reviews, by the way.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
San Antonio

Be nice to the environment by saving on printing and save a few bucks by just subscribing to a few different web sites. I've had subscriptions to all of the mags over the years. MAYBE once a year there would be an article that pertained to my diving area and I'm not filthy rich yet so the endless articles about warm water diving and warm water gear were pretty useless to me. If you really want a mag, I do appreciate Dive Training's content.

Mr. Bostic,
Thanks for your suggestions; I will try out the online approach including LeisurePro for equipment. You make some good points about limited relevance in most printed material, though one reduces the amount of good serindipidous findings going with pure online searching using keywords. I appreciate the endorsement for "Dive Training" and will probably go for that for a mag trial.

Thanks again,
Michael

It's absolutely amazing, but there are more user generated articles RIGHT HERE on good ol' ScubaBoard than all the print mags combined. The best part is that we usually get more than one point of view and you get to figure out which one best suits you.

I receive two magazines: Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine and Alert Diver Magazine by DAN. I receive the former as a gift for buying gear online and I receive the latter for being a member of DAN.

While I would not intentionally buy either, the only one that I actually read is Alert Diver Magazine.

For me, there are SO many more online resources that I find valuable with SB being the biggest one!

Rodales has had nothing to do with Scuba Diving Magazine for almost 10 years now. Both Scuba Diving and Sport Diver are published by Bonnier Corp out of Winter Park, Florida.

Rodales has had nothing to do with Scuba Diving Magazine for almost 10 years now. Both Scuba Diving and Sport Diver are published by Bonnier Corp out of Winter Park, Florida.

That just shows how in the loop I am regarding scuba diving magazines.

That just shows how in the loop I am regarding scuba diving magazines.
It's my experience that most magazines (not just Scuba related) are often relegated to the circular file, the bathroom or the coffee table. They are rarely actually read. People are relying far more on the internet for real time information.

I read them all, Scuba Diver, Sport Diver, Alert Diver, Diver... I like to dive and like reading about diving, caveats apply, of course.

Good diving, Craig

my 2 cents: Dive Training

my stats: percentage of time spent reading dive magazines vs reading dive stuff online and/or playing diver online: 0.01% vs 99.99% :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom