Best Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowdog77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're planning a spring trip to either Belize, Bonaire, Cozumel or Roatan. Because of "significant other" issues we're wanting to do mostly shore diving.....which would be best and where would be a good place to stay? Thanks!

Bonaire is the best place for shore diving. I must say that I've never been to Belize or to Roatan and have read some really good reports from both. I've been to Bon. twice and really enjoy the diving and the island atmosphere. My next trip I want to try a stay at Buddy Dive. I stopped in for a visit this past Sept. and it looked really nice. A real divers place.

Beware, if you try Bonaire once you are likely to get hooked.

Enjoy.

Parts of Belize have good shore diving, though I don't believe it compares with the Caymans (or what's left of them). Don't come to San Pedro in Belize as we're inside a barrier reef and there's NO shore diving.

With over 80 marked and more unmarked shore diving sites, Bonaire has got to be #1. There are a lot of places to stay with prices ranging from $250pp/wk (including unlimited tanks) and up. The has been a lot of discussion on this board over the years on Bonaire so you might want to do a search here for more info. Also, check out these sites.
www.boniaretalk.com
www.infobonaire.com

cowdog77:
We're planning a spring trip to either Belize, Bonaire, Cozumel or Roatan. Because of "significant other" issues we're wanting to do mostly shore diving.....which would be best and where would be a good place to stay? Thanks!

Bonaire by a landslide.

A big plus? A non diver can stay with the car to be security. Nothing for her to worry about- no robbery issues, but they love to bust into cars parked at dive sites.

Solution? 1 tall hill, 1 police marksman, 1 bullet per month. Word would get out.

Otherwise? Have no fears. Go and do the best shore diving in the Caribbean. Rent a pickup if you have a large group. Load all the gear in there, let everyone else use their mini rental cars.

Doc.

RoatanMan:
A big plus? A non diver can stay with the car to be security. Nothing for her to worry about- no robbery issues, but they love to bust into cars parked at dive sites.

Doc.

Absolutely agree with everything said here - Bonaire is the best for shore diving (and having dived all over I reckon amongst the best diving in the world) but I didn't agree with this statement. They do love to bust into cars BUT they do love to bust into cars to rob stuff (or at least to throw it randomly around the island). There are serious robbery issues in Bonaire. Have been to Bonaire twice, had the car broken into three times including once on a night dive at the Hilma Hooker and numerous other times it was clear someone had rummaged through the (open) vehicle. The worst thing we got stolen during all this was somebodies dive log (forget money, camera etc. that can be replaced - but a dive log - that was sad! :pity_part - it actually turned up in someones garden and was returned to us months later, some people are honest see.).

The one time they broke the window to get in the car hire place tried to charge us $400 to replace it. Having a car robbed in Bonaire is not cheap to recover from.

My advice - definately go to Bonaire but hire a wreck of a car (no CD player in it or anything) and leave all the windows open with absolutely NOTHING in it of value at all. I'm also not convinced I would leave a female alone in the car as security. The locals are poor on Bonaire and so I don't think they like seeing rich divers (esp. if it's arrogant Americans ones) driving all over their island and diving all over their reef. As such it's probably motivated by mischief rather than robbery, but still.

Save your breath, and check additional posts by Cowdog77 and see where he ended up.

Dive With Martin in Cozumel.

A notable operation, but nothing at all to do with fulfilling his stated need for shore diving.

He did write a darned nice trip repot, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom