best sub $50 dive boots.....????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've always been a full-foot fan (even cave diving, believe it or not), but i got a set of nice open-heel fins as part of a regulator deal recently, so I'm looking at reasonably priced boots. I'm seeing several that look good, and have solid reviews, from numerous manufacturers (Scubapro,Cressi,etc.), and am hoping for some useful recommendations or warnings. Any solid info is much appreciated.....

IMO booties are entirely subjective. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I prefer the scubapro "Delta short 3" booties. They're about 25 clams. Scubapro Delta 3mm Boot, Short

I replaced my first pair of them after about 150 or so dives. They had acquired a stink that I just couldn't completely eliminate. I even threw them in the clothes washer with a hefty dose of chlorine bleach.

I've tried other booties and didn't like any of them as much. I especially don't like the ones with a zipper on the side. Mainly because of my build (think stay puft or Buddha). My calfs are significantly larger than my ankles. Every zipper boot I've tried on will work its way unzipped in short order. My wife loves the zipper booties and dislikes the scubapro ones that I like.

The delta shorts don't provide much in the way of firmness on the bottom. They would not be a good choice if you were walking down a rocky shoreline to get to your dive site. They're just grand on boats and docks and beaches and parking lots and other relatively flat surfaces.

Last edited:
I do not have skinny calves. They are the only boots that stay zipped up on me. Every other boot doesn’t.

Here's what I've been wearing the last couple of years or so:

3mm Swim Scuba Surfing Diving Socks Water Sport Wet Suit Boot Dive Gear Neoprene | eBay

They are only 3mm so I added some 1/4" neoprene toe pads to the top, inside of my Jet Fins to keep my toes from getting sore. I've had no problems with my feet getting cold in 58F water. They are easy to dry because you can turn them inside-out. The Velcro closures at the top work quite well and I feel no need to tuck the booties under my wetsuit. They are stretchy enough that zippers are not needed. They are very easy to put on and take off. They tend to run a bit small so I got the XL and I wear size 11 shoes and boots. One drawback is that it takes about a month for them to get here from China. I also bought some for my girlfriend, daughter, and son-in-law and everyone likes them.

I got mine from zhangbaobao2013 but they don't seem to have any for sale at the moment. Lately I've only been receiving about 80-85% of my orders from China. In the past is was close to 100%. In any case if you use eBay and pay with PayPal you get your money back (easily).

I've tried other booties and didn't like any of them as much. I especially don't like the ones with a zipper on the side. Mainly because of my build (think stay puft or Buddha). My calfs are significantly larger than my ankles. Every zipper boot I've tried on will work its way unzipped in short order. My wife loves the zipper booties and dislikes the scubapro ones that I like.

Just an FYI, the ScubaPro Everflex 5mm boots now have no zipper at all. They have a regular model and a model with an arch. No zipper on either. They are beyond the OP's price point, though.

These 5mm boots from DGX are da bomb. $15! I love them so much I have at least one spare pair.

Watersports 5mm Neoprene Boot

Those are the only thing I ever bought from DGX and returned for a refund. They didn't fit my feet right, even though they were the right length. I didn't like that they don't have anything to cover the zipper pull. And, I didn't like that there was not a bellows behind the zipper. The flap lets more water come in than a neoprene bellows would.

All the other boots I have have some kind of velcro flap to cover the zipper pull when it's all the way up. The cover ensures they never unzip accidentally (for me, anyway), and it it gives a little protection to the inside of my suit leg, if I wear it outside the boot. And, of course, they all have a bellows behind the zipper, so water can only come in via the top.

Back
Top Bottom